PERMENANT Distributor ignition module FIX & External

Why does my engine tick? How do I swap? All common V6 questions answered in this archive only forum.
Gro Harlem

PERMENANT Distributor ignition module FIX & External

Post by Gro Harlem »

I just wrote an in-depth how-to based off of information I got off of ProbeTalk. This how-to explains how to use a General Motors HEI module to override your stock POS distributor ignition module. This is a PERMENANT fix to this failure-prone part.

I also outline how to install an external coil in your car w/out needing a KLZE distributor. You simply mod your distributor cap & buy a MSD Blaster coil.

http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know what you guys think, or if you see any errors.

Total cost for the parts to just install HEI module are ~$25 if you buy a new module. Add external coil, coil wire and extra wiring and you are talking about another $35-40ish dollars.

And please do NOT put this in the FAQ! (yet)

October 12, 2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Gro Harlem ]

HEI Only

HEI w/ Coil

Last edited by Custommx3 on March 31st, 2008, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added more diagrams
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Gro Harlem

Re: PERMENANT Distributor ignition module FIX & External

Post by Gro Harlem »

Oh and if you guys were wondering...I've only put about 300 miles on this setup so far, but I haven't had any kind of idle problems, and no indications that this doesn't work flawlessly. Lots of probetalk guys have been using this setup for a LOT longer with no problems.

Also...in case you were wondering, YES I FEEL A DIFFERENCE! I'd say very significant. I am not one who normally says "i got a hp gain out of my VTEC stickers y0" but I swear installing that Blaster 2 coil and module increased power somewhat. The ZE revs MUCH smoother than before with no hiccups like it used to.

BTW: i'm using NGK V-powers (the proper ones for the klze) and accel 8mm wires. The wires are decent spiral-wound ones...the shorter front-cylinder bank wires are about 200-300 ohms resistance while the rear wires (much longer) have about 500-800 ohms of resistance. FYI stock wries have about 2000-3000 ohms of resistance :(
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

let me say FAQ time! and you are AWSOME! i will be doing this mod soon
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Let me know when to put it in the Faq.
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Nicely done. Maybe the ZE needs a good external coil. Since they did have external coils stock. I know for sure i'm getting one soon :2thumbsup:
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

This would work on the K8 aswell, I suppose?

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

works on any K-series described in the how-to application section.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
cris_barros

Post by cris_barros »

Amazing!!! Well done Gro!!! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
Cris

dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Instead of modding the stock disty cap for the coil tower MBX sells one. From what PTers say its worth the money. Just my 2 cents.
65 shot > V8
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Ya, it definitely looks cleaner, but I did that before they started offering those caps.

I had all of the parts to do this HEI thing back in April, installed it & it didn't work. Turns out my wiring was way off. I just got lazy and put it off until this past weekend.

BTW: if you guys wanna buy a pre-modded disty cap u can go to ProbeSports site here:

http://www.probesport.com/mdc04.html

Definitely much cleaner than my cap :werd:
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

nice write up gro..
now somebody should try to find out how to use the 7 nipple ze disty..that would be ten times cleaner :)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Thats excactely what i was thinking babyblue :)

But its good to know how to get around the stock distributor if its gets faulty (i just got the dealer to change mine before i bought the car) and never had any problems with it so far :shrug:
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i have absolutely no clue which wire is which on the ZE disty....why don't you do the write up when you install urs? would be cool to see the wiring involved.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
kenped8

Post by kenped8 »

I think i have a klze disty wiring diagram Gro. If you want a picture i could email it too you. But great work on the external coil. It`s probally going save people alot of money on disty`s (you were also running on your 5th disty right?)
Klze,CAI,Exedy clutch, HM Engine mounts, HM ss exhaust system,Cobra lowering springs, 18" wheels.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

if you do have the klze wiring diagram..pleas send it to me..steve_racine17@hotmail.com
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “V6 FAQ”