advice! bonze oil/SRD shift bushings

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
justintoxicated

advice! bonze oil/SRD shift bushings

Post by justintoxicated »

my 92 gs with 130,000+ miles is hard to shift. shifting to 2nd especially downshifting to 2nd is very hard to get into gear, i have to "wrestle" with it to get it in gear. none of the gears pop out, but shifteing to all gears is tougher than it probably should be especially when car is cold. I want to get the bronze oil bushings kit on corksport, and/or the srd shift extension bushings, should that fix my problem? do you think i need both sets? or just one or the other? any advice on what i should do? what about tranny fluid any recomendations? thanks in advance. :)
Got Rice? You do!
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: advice! bonze oil/SRD shift bushings

Post by Zoso124 »

First thing I would do is get underneath the car and do an inspection, most likely those parts aren't worn too much to be giving you your problems, I would change your fuild first. Go with either Royal Purple 75W90 or Redline 75W90 or MTL. 3 quarts will do it.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

The SRD/Bronzoil shift bushings basically just tighten up the shifter, making it a bit more precise. They are an excellent replacement for worn out stock bushings.

However, from the sound of things, the bushings are not the problem with your car. The gearbox in these cars is known to be a bit uncooperative when cold if you are not using the right gear oil. The most widely recommended one seems to be Redline MT90, which is a 100% synthetic, 75W90 gear oil.

We are currently running Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W90 gear oil, and it made a HUGE difference to cold-shifting. Where before we had to wait a second or so before the shifter would move into second gear, now it just smoothly goes into gear all the time.

Change your gear oil, and you should see a dramatic improvement.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yeah, these transmissions are pretty crappy after getting some mileage on there. Mine is a pita to shift into gear. changing the oil helped quite a bit.

I still always heel-toe when I downshift, it helps make quick downshifts much easier. I don't have a problem upshifting at all though.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
justintoxicated

Post by justintoxicated »

hey thanks for the advice guys...i will try changing the fluid first and see if that helps...the less $$ i gotta spend to fix the problem the better :2thumbsup: thanks again.
Got Rice? You do!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”