a little worried

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DJester187

a little worried

Post by DJester187 »

i've noticed that lately my brakes have been really, really spongy the first few times i use them after start up, and/or whenever i have the clutch down and try to use them. i never had this problem before. i checked the fluid and it is filled completely, so i know that it isn't leaking. any ideas? i don't want them to fail!
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
storm99

Re: a little worried

Post by storm99 »

Have you changed any of the brake components recently (rotors, pads, calipers etc)? If so, there is probably some air left in the system and they just need bleeding.

If you havn't, maybe your vacuum assist has a leak...
Racing
\Ra"cing\, a. & n. from Race, v. t. & i.
The alchemy that turns base metals into heat, noise, power
and motion.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/storm99
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

99% certain its air in the system. If your fluid is more than a few years old, its worth changing it for fresh. Just bleed all four points in turn(keeping the reservoir topped up) till you get fresh fluid out of the pipe - you'll see the colour change.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

the fluid in the resivior is new but the fluid in the lines may be old. thanks guys i'll try that.
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

If the vacuum assist was leaking the pedal would be rock hard and not spongy.

You just need to bleed your brakes and the clutch. They should be done at least once a year but no one does it. If the fluid isn't clear it should be flushed.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”