Hard shifting 2-3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

Hard shifting 2-3

Post by mdavis »

Ever since I got my mx-3 a few years ago the syncros would "grind" for a second when i shifted hard (at like 5.5-6.5k) from 2nd to 3rd. Now I just had my tranny rebuilt (new syncros included) and it still does it. Is this a normal thing or what? Let me explain it again: I floor it, and shift quickly from 2nd gear to 3rd, and the tranny briefly makes a grinding noise when I stick it into 3rd. Thanks.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
bmwm3guy

Re: Hard shifting 2-3

Post by bmwm3guy »

I find 2nd to 3rd on my old K8 tranny was one of the nicest shifts. 1st to 2nd was my problem.

I dont think its a standard problem, and if you just got it rebuilt... for %#^@s sake take it back and get your moneys worth... :D

BTW how much does rebuilding a tranny cost?

<small>[ September 27, 2004, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: bmwm3guy ]</small>
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Damnit. I already pulled that thing out twice this month. As for cost, it's a long story - in short I bought a junker tranny that happened to be a factory rebuilt a few K ago, however the shifter linkage connector got screwed up in shipping, and the thing ended up cracking (yeah, the casing on the tranny cracked) Again, to make a long story short, it turned out the internals of the new tranny were prefect, including syncros. So the tranny shop said they would use the good parts from the junker tranny to rebuild my old tranny, and order whatever else was needed. They charged $412 for labor, and $380 for a needed bearing kit and seals etc. Everything is great except the 2-3 (which is BAD) and I'm im pissed I have to pull that thing out AGAIN. Maybe I'll put a stage 3 in... heh.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

What tranny fluid are you running?
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Napa brand non-synthetic 80W-85W-90
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by mdavis:
Get your *** down to a Redline or Royal Purple dealer now then. According to Royal Purple's site, this place carries it:

Kragen Auto Parts 3970 F Missouri Flat Road Placerville 95667 530-626-9191

Try two bottles of Max-Gear and one bottle of Synchromax in a gear lube mixture.

Also, according to Redline, Placerville Napa
Placerville, CA 95667 (530) 642-0577 carries Redline. Use thier MT-90 lube if you go that way.

<small>[ September 27, 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hahaha I'll go right now, thanks dude.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Also, that's the same lube that made some guy on Probetalk's tranny blow up in a week.

Quote from RigsPGT:

"Well, i had this gear oil for a week and my tranny went Kaboom. Started a quiet(well i could spot it) krrrrrrrrrr noise while in 3rd (low rpms) until the next day grinded and jerked as if u were a first time MTX driver eventhough u were in gear already. Did the switch because of an axle change and i thought i could use it while the BG stuff was delivered to me. And to my bad luck, that day 3 of the Autozone stores + a few others didnt have Pennzoil Synchromesh in stock.

Anyway here's the NO NO product that i would never reccomend to anyone!

NAPA 80-85-90 gear oil (Used on GL4, GL5 and some other crap the bottle and the salesman said .)"
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Crap I got one Royal Purple Syncromax, one 75W90 Max-Gear and accidentally one 85W140 Max-Gear. I want two 75W90s correct?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

my 2-3 shift kinda sucks too. I'm using redline MT90 too...my trans is just a pos basically. I have a new one with LSD waiting to be installed but i have no time to install it til the winter
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Crap I got one Royal Purple Syncromax, one 75W90 Max-Gear and accidentally one 85W140 Max-Gear. I want two 75W90s correct?
Yeah. You don't want the 85W140. The other two are good though.

And give the new fluid a couple hundred miles until you pass judgement on it. It took a while on mine for it to get into all the gears and synchros.

<small>[ September 27, 2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Alright, cool. I will have to put this stuff in tomorrow after class and hit the road :D
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Where did you get taht MS sticker?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey..by any chance..have u checked your slave cylindewr..im telling you because my transmission WILL let me shift from 2nd to third , fourth to fifth without pressing the clutch (if i change it at the right rpms) this car i so easy to shift that sometimes from what ive noticed... my slave cylinder was not opening all the way...but since the tanny lets me shift without grinding...i couodnt tell it was bad...until i started to notice the same problem u are having. i fixed it and problem gone.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”