New MX-3 Owner - Need some help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: New MX-3 Owner - Need some help

Post by IanL »

There is no Code 22 in the Mazda Factory Manual. Code 10 is the Air Intake temperature sensor, which is mounted in the VAF.. With both codes, there is a good chance the problem is poor connections in the VAF connector.

Check them next - a good clean-up may help.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

I had a '93 MX-3 before my big accident and never saw this problem, but with the '92 I just picked up a little while ago, I've got the same problems. I think I've narrowed it down to 4 things: the VAF, TPS, IAC or a vac leak. It's more than likely the TPS. It's only really noticable once the car warms up. The RPM increases when it is gear just like yours which is also something I never saw on my '93. There will be an MX-3 Mini-Meet in Calgary on October 9th. I could have a look at your car if you go.

<small>[ September 26, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: WyldSide ]</small>
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
J-Bird

Post by J-Bird »

Y'know, I think you may be right about the TPS, I think my clutch needs adjusting anyway. That was something I first thought of when I bought the car, but wasn't sure of. I also think its something to do with the VAF, cause it has the small surges, and sometimes bogs out when you're slowing down, or when you release the e-brake.

As for the meet - I will have to see. I may be out of town, but i'll respond to your e-mail in more detail. A meet sounds like fun, its great to know there are some MX-3 enthusiasts in Cowtown. There are so many cavaliers and sunfires on the road here I thought Calgary had lost its good taste in vehicles..... :2thumbsup:
Summer

Post by Summer »

Hello,
I'm a MX-3 chick driver also, nice to meet you.
My MX-3 also does the EXACT same thing you are talking about. Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about engines BUT my husband is a mechanic. I bought my MX-3 three months ago for next to nothing because the engine was blown and I found a used engine that had been imported from Japan and my husband put it in. He had said something about the idle before I started driving it. When I started driving it, I noticed the same thing you did. He told me it was because he needed to replace the IAC (Idle Air Control valve). Well we called Mazda and was qouted $600 so he's now checking the local junk yards. Until we find one looks like I'll have to deal with it (doesn't bother me too much)

Don't know how much this will help you but I thought I'd at least share. And again, I don't know all of the "lingo" but that was my understanding of it. :) Love my car though!!

Summer
J-Bird

Post by J-Bird »

It is a snazzy little rocket isn't it?? Seems this is a common problem then, is yours also a 92? I'm going to call my mechanic today & tell him about the CEL codes I got, see what he can tell me.
If you haven't pinpointed your problem, the link in this thread to the "Check Engine Light Codes" is very useful in determining your problems.

Nice to see some ladies on this site!! Those of us who are into FINDING OUT about our cars are few & far between! Its one thing to drive a hot car, but another to be able to arttle off all the specs of the car, which is something i'm working on getting to know!! :2thumbsup:
J-Bird

Post by J-Bird »

Ok, I just talked to my mechanic, and he asked that I clear any codes that may be in the memory & then re-run them to make sure i'm getting accurate codes. Could someone please let me know how to do this?? Brad (mechanic) told me that disconnecting the battery & then turning on something like the headlights in order to drain the capacitors will clear the computer code memory, then i'd hook it back up again, drive the car for a day or two, and then run the diagnostic test again. He said changing the air filter & not hooking everything back up correctly could give a VAF code. I did just change the air filter, which I must say this is the first car i've ever needed a screwdriver to change an air filter on.

The other code I got was the TPS, which is no big deal to fix, maybe $100, but the VAF could cost me $1000 he said. I couldn't see any crack in the hose, so lets hope its not that!! The TPS thing could be causing the surging, and hopefully me changing the air filter was enough to give me the 08 & 10 codes.... I hope I hope!!

Anyway, if someone could confirm how to clear the codes, i'd be forever grateful!!
Thanks!
:driver:
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I've read on here to reset the ecu to disconnect the battery and hold in the brake pedal for 30 seconds. What your mechanic said would probably do it to.
J-Bird

Post by J-Bird »

Thanks man!!
I'll try to get that done tonight, then go for a spin & run the codes again.

Ok, i've seen so much of the KLZE K8 KLDE stuff on here, and I really don't understand how it all works. :p )
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

k8 (1.8L) = comes stock in all v6 mx3's with about 130hp
klde(2.5L) = 164-170 hp engine from v6 mx6's, v6 626's, probe gt's, millenia's (good swap for v6 mx3's)
klze(2.5L) = 194-200 hp engine from jdm cars (another good swap for v6 mx3's)
kfze(2.0L) = 170 hp engine from jdm cars (and another good swap for v6 mx3's)

Have a search around the site, there is a lot of info on those engine's if you ever want more power!

<small>[ September 28, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: mxmaz ]</small>
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

you have a K8-DE with 130 HP, the other motors are not standard to the car but bolt in like you were to replace your motor if it blew up, they give you a bit more power

K8-DE 130 HP 1.8L US-Spec motor
K8-ZE 140 HP 1.8L J-Spec motor
KF-ZE 170 HP 2.0L J-Spec motor
KL-DE 165 HP 2.5L US-Spec motor
KL-ZE 200 HP 2.5L J-Spec motor

the first one is your stock one, the second is what cam in japan and the rest are for the nuts that wanna do some work and get some extra go fast

<small>[ September 28, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
J-Bird

Post by J-Bird »

Hmmm, so because my VIN starts with a "J" then my car comes from Japan right? So my engine would actually be a K8ZE?? 140hp??

Thanks!! Now I can understand what you guys are all talking about with your "K" talk.

Hahaha, my VIN actually starts with the "JM" which coincidentaly are my initials! :D Was this car made for me or what?!!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by J-Bird:
Hmmm, so because my VIN starts with a "J" then my car comes from Japan right? So my engine would actually be a K8ZE?? 140hp??
K8ZE is only fitted for the Japanese Domestic market (JDM). My car was built in Japan (also starts with J) for export, so it has a K8DE engine. I expect that would be the same for yours. If not (i.e. if you had a JDM car) you would know because the driver would have to sit on the right :D

<small>[ September 28, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
J-Bird

Post by J-Bird »

:bowdown:

Hee hee!! Ok, K8DE it is.... sometimes I wonder how it would be to drive from the right hand side on a road system built for left hand drivers....
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by J-Bird:
:bowdown:

Hee hee!! Ok, K8DE it is.... sometimes I wonder how it would be to drive from the right hand side on a road system built for left hand drivers....
It's great for narrow roads and mountain roads with a sheer drop (the mountain buses in Switzerland used to have RHD for that reason), but it's hell for overtaking.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”