Mx3 gs engine question??????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valoncan

Mx3 gs engine question??????

Post by valoncan »

My gs 1.8 engine is got like 200km and it is burning a lot of oil.
Like there is no leaks or anything like that at all it just burns it like a lot. For like 2000 km of normal driving it burns more than a litre.
I have plans to swap the engine, but I'm just short in money so I have to drive with that engine for this winter, is there any cheap means i can do to actually extend the life for another 4 or 5 months to that engine?
I was thinking those additives at auto stores, or just keep adding oil till it dies?

Thank you in advance!!
Never think that you will get two if you don't give one!!
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Mx3 gs engine question??????

Post by IanL »

Keep adding oil - it could run for another 100,000 like that.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

might want to check your sparkplugs once in a while too... if you're going through that much oil with out seeing leaks... your plugs are going to get fouled eventually and start to miss...

you may have to clean/replace your plugs once in a while too..
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Mine does the same thing, and i belive its the oil rings on the pistons, so instead of ripping the engine apart the best thing to do is just keep adding oil.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Try an oil with a thicker hot weight. So like a 5w40 instead of a 5w30 maybe?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Yeah i have the same burning oil problem. I got a new engine to swap in but im waiting till after this winter to do it. The car has 170 000kms on it and easily goes through 2 quarts of oil every tank of gas. It's embarissing!
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

Thanks guys!

Yeah I have brand new NGK sparks, and cables.
I have a new disty on it done just recently
new pcv valve, clean the TB once in a while, i did a fuel flush and all.
I think what screwed me up was the engine flush that I did. Honestly my engine i think got all messed up after that, and my dad told me not to do it but I still flushed the engine, payed like 80 bucks and ever since then it is just crap.

You know I also notice that it spends lot more gas too! Is that the case or it just looks like?
I mean before I could do like at least 400 to 420 with a tank, and now no matter how easy i take it on her it can never pass 380 for a tank.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

You can get a certain amount of sealing from deposits at the top of the cylinder walls, above where the top ring reaches. If the engine flush cleared some of that away, it would explain your experience. Never mind, just do another 200,000 and you'll get it back :D
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You could also try an engine Restore product to try to seal it back up.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

You may want to double-check that your valve cover gaskets aren't leaking. Our GS was consuming about a litre of oil every 1000kms with no visible leaks - just the occasional puff of smoke when pulling away from a stop.

Since replacing those last week, oil consumption is zero to minimal - it only dropped after a 30 minute session of thrashing the motor to within an inch of its life (full throttle as often as possible and pretty much always shifting at 7,000 rpm) on some of the local twisty roads yesterday. Even with that, it only consumed about 1/2-litre of oil. Before that session, we drove it about 700kms with zero oil consumption.

Look for oil on your spark plug leads and/or in the spark plug wells. If it's there, your valve cover gaskets are leaking...
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If oil is on the spark end it is the piston rings, if it above the threads it is the valve cover gasket, but I'd not try any additives, just keep oil in it. It will use more gas b/c the oil in the combustion chamber messes up the burn, but it should last quite awile like that. As long as you make sure you don't let the oil get too low.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

Thanks.

A while ago I had oil on one of my sparks, and it was only on the middle one towards the front. The rest of the plugs were dry, but the one in the middle was DIPPED in oil. I am talking about DIPPED.
Anwyays I replaced all my plugs since it was time to do so, and so far yet there is no oil on my sparks.
I changed my oil yesterday and I put 10W40 synthetic (mobil 1), also replaced my oil filter.
I bought one of those restorer engine things and my dead was pissed of at me.
He was like, damn when are you going to learn, these things are waste of money, better give your money to someone in need than spend it on this trash, so he didn't let me put that thing on my engine, and i had to take it back to crappytire.
Was he right?
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

(forgot)

I mean i know that some of you told me to put restorer thing and das what i figured too, but my dad was like so convincing that it is not a good thing to put that he actually changed my mind.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I've heard many different opinions about those restorer things. From personal experience: about a year and a half ago my dad's Jeep Cherokee had a rod start knocing pretty badly when we were hauling our kart trailer back from Daytona (I race go-karts), he had like 170k miles on it. It's a 2001! Anyways, he put that Restore stuff in at his next oil change and, like the can says, about 500 miles or so later the knocking stopped. He's added it at every oil change since then. He's got over 240k miles on it now and it hasn't knocked since. I use it in my daily driver RS. Don't know what kind of difference it makes since I cleaned/rebuilt the engine whe I replaced the tranny a few months back. When I get my ZE in, I'll be using full synthetic, so there'll be no need for the stuff.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

It's a good idea to do a Google search on "Federal Trade Commission dodgyproduct" where dodgyproduct is whatever you're interested in checking out. Very revealing.

Personally, I'd put these things on a par with Lord_Matt's choice here .

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”