Polyurethane filling ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Polyurethane filling ?

Post by PATDIESEL »

I see that some of you have used some polyurethane filler for your motor mounts from McMaster. I'd like some more information on what you bought since I can't seem to find a real good description on their website as to what the products are and what they could be used for. I plan on trying to make some more bushings for our cars using this stuff and a mold. I know that Luc used Nylatron preformed parts and then cut them to fit, but I think this would be easier and hopefully I can find a liquid filler that is graphite impregnated so that their are less squeeks. So what I need is some more information or alternative sites that have a good explination as to what the polyurethane product is and it's common uses. I appreciate any help.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
lakersfan1

Re: Polyurethane filling ?

Post by lakersfan1 »

The way the McMaster website is set up, you have to initiate the search using a keyword. Type 'flexible urethane' in the search field to begin. Click on "Flexible Urethane Casting Compound" when the search is done. That should bring up a catalog page. Scroll to "Casting Compounds" The first three are the ones most people use. 60A is softest, 80A medium, 94A hardest. You can try screwing with the other casting compounds for different applications, but I don't know anyone who has used these.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Theres a good post on here about this. Im about to do my mounts with the Putty Casting Compound 60A weight. Ill take some pics in the process and post a how-to later on. ;)
Macen

Post by Macen »

I got my order today. Ordered the 60A. Will fill my old mounts.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

yeah same here got the 60a mcmaster urethane..will do in a week or 2
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I haven't filled my mounts (actually just installed MS mounts today) but pretty much all i've heard from people who have actually done it is that the car rattles way too much and many peeps remove them within a week or so... Perhaps cut foam or something to fill part of the mount with so the urethane doesn't fill the mount all the way, and drill holes in it afterwards (I forgot who did this, but i remember reading about it)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Macen

Post by Macen »

Hm... and why do people talk so much about filling them if it's not good? *confused*
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Macen:
Hm... and why do people talk so much about filling them if it's not good? *confused*
Its a matter of degree. Some people have "tired" mounts that are not stiff enough to resist the extra torque of the KL, some just think the standard mounts are not stiff enough, some have torn mounts and use the filling as a sort of repair.

If you are fitting new mounts, and want to cater for the extra torque from your KL, you could put a little extra filling in, but not a lot - it's a matter of judgement.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Macen

Post by Macen »

Oh, ok. I will use my old mounts. Hope 60A will not be too hard. Want a quite smooth ride too.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

60A is much softer than 90A. I have read on these forums that some people drilled holes in the urethane to give it a bit of give when they found it too stiff. Drill the holes at 90 degree intervals.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

hmm.. with the KL and a clutchmasters stage 2 I clean broke the front tranny mount rubber all the way through so you can slide the middle chunk out... fyi..
GS-R SE
Fixin's
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

I used 3M Window weld polyurethane for the mounts , worked well not too stiff and doesnt squeak.
You can purchase it at A&A auto parts
Kris
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
mx3-ze

Post by mx3-ze »

I ordered the shore 85a flexible putty. It has a very high tensile strength and is very easy to work with. I mixed the whole jar so I knew the ratio of the two parts was correct. Stir the two parts together and it will turn into a thick gel.
I put the mount on newspaper and spread the putty on one side until it filled all the voids and came out the other side. Then used a wide putty knife and spread both sides smooth. I dont think the ride is harsh and I dont get any wheel hop at all.McMaster Carr #8644k13

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”