What's the name of the boot or seal at the end of the t

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lakersfan1

What's the name of the boot or seal at the end of the t

Post by lakersfan1 »

I just looked in my wheel well for any other damage that might have happened when I hit a boulder and shattered my wheel. Only thing I see is a small little rubber boot or seal with grease oozing out of it right where the tie rob meets the hub. What is the name of this part, and is it replacable? Or only as part of a new hub or something?
hgallegos915

Re: What's the name of the boot or seal at the end of the t

Post by hgallegos915 »

You mean the cv boot? those cost around 7 dlls if you do the work yourself. well at least over here in a store called "autovalue"

-hec
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mm i don't think he's talking about the cv boot..but sorry I don't know the name of the part
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

No. I know the CV boot. Those are LARGE boots. I'm talking about a little tiny boot at the juction of the hub and what I presume is the tie rod.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

according to the workshop manual..it's called a tie-rod end boot
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Thanks babyblue. I found something called 'tie rod end' at my favorite online place. I inquired and they sent me a pic. It is the entire end piece with the boot and nut...the whole assembly......it's only $12. I'm ordering my wheel bearing from them at the same time. Figured the bearing probably took one hell of a jolt in the impact that ruined my wheel regardless. Can't hurt. :shrug:
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

yeah I replaced my worn out tie rod end (TRE) too. Its pretty cheap so better safe than sorry with the hit you took. They are really easy to replace too. The way I did it was to count how many turns it takes to get the old one off and screw the new one on the same number of turns. Another helpful hint dont hit the tie rod or the end to get it out. Hammer where the TRE meets the hub assembly. My friend bent his tie rod by banging on it with a big hammer...Moron...Said it wouldn't come out. :confused2:
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

Not a bad idea counting the turns, but you still need to get alignment checked. Dont want to risk uneven tire wear especially if your tires cost $150 each! If TRE wont separate from hub assembly the easiest thing to do is get a TRE separator and hammer.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Chino921:
Not a bad idea counting the turns, but you still need to get alignment checked. Dont want to risk uneven tire wear especially if your tires cost $150 each!
Yep. But that's why I plan on doing this while I'm waiting for new tires. Have to do get it alighned anyways. I wouldn't spend $150 for a tirem either, though. But it's still worth it to save $75 tires.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”