wheel size impact question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DJester187

wheel size impact question

Post by DJester187 »

just wondering ourspeedo is set for our 15" rims, but i'm running 17's. how much faster/slower will i be going in comparison to what my speedo is showing me?
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
lakersfan1

Re: wheel size impact question

Post by lakersfan1 »

It doesn't matter what size wheel you have, it's what size tire you have.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

What matters is the effective radius of the cover. If the new ones are larger, your actual speed will be greater than indicated, and vice versa. Multiply the indicated speed by the new diameter, and divide by the old to get true speed. For better accuracy, use the heights of the centre of the axle above the road surface instead of the diameters, but you'd have to put the old wheels back on to measure :(

<small>[ August 05, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

Check out this link!!!! This will answer your question. Just put in your original tire size & then put in the size of tires your running now & it will tell you how far off your speedometer is.

Tire Calculator
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

that tire calc is great! unfortunately i'm running sloer that i thought...need to get 1 tire size larger to be just a little faster. anyway thanks again.
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”