speed chip

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lok

speed chip

Post by lok »

hey i see they hv the +20hp speed chip on ebay..its really cheap.. its like 5 bucks... i m wondering if they are any good.. they state that the chip wont damage the engine in any way.. is that really true?..
ZEmadman

Re: speed chip

Post by ZEmadman »

depends on your engine setup, i dont think there are any "performance chips" for the mx-3(k8) but i could be wrong

just remember on those cheapy 20hp gain ebay chips

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

its a rip off that tricks your ecu into dumping more fuel.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Mnemonic:
Exactly so, and more fuel does not mean more power. For more power, you need more air, and the ECU will provide the additional fuel that needs (up to a point - not forced induction ;) )
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

And just adding more fuel means you are going to be running rich, and an overly rich mixture can lead to a host of other problems.. for example, I'm having to replace a CAT right now as we speak.. the emissions expert told me what causes cats to burn up (technical term is something like 'over activate' or somesuch) is an engine that's running too rich.. so even if it doesn't damage the engine, you might burn out your CAT...

(disclaimer: I don't know that for sure, I've not used one of those chips, or know anyone that has.. the above is a conclusion I've come to based on my limited knowledge that a car running rich can burn up a cat, I've no idea if those chips will change things enough to cause that kind of problem)
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

That's the reason why my cat. conv. went to poopie heaven for cats. Sounds better without it anyways.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

by the way..that "mod chip" is just a simple transistor that you can get at radio shack for like 5 - 25 cents.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by IanL:
Originally posted by Mnemonic:
Exactly so, and more fuel does not mean more power. For more power, you need more air, and the ECU will provide the additional fuel that needs (up to a point - not forced induction ;) )
more fuel does not always mean more power, my car was running rich for the last 3 months and we just figured out what the problem was and now i have most of my Hp back
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

You don't even have to go to Radio Shack, and it is not a transistor, it is actually a resistor, a cheap resistor that you can get out of a broken PC board from a radio or some other electronical device.
And also there is no gains or nothing, it is BULL.
I mean 20 HP for 5 bucks, can't beat that EH.
:D
Never think that you will get two if you don't give one!!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”