Replace stock Air filter with a Cone air filter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lennis

Replace stock Air filter with a Cone air filter

Post by lennis »

Hi,

Háve read many threads and couldn´t find an answer.

I want to replace the Stock Air box with an open air cone filter. My problem is that I don´t know what to do with all hoses.

I have read this guide http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=211008&page=4
What does he do with the thin hose (see picture)?

picture http://members.fortunecity.se/lennis/ picture

I have a Swedish sold Mx-3 92 with the 1.8l V6 @ 137 hp

My english is not that good :p hope you understand anyway.
// Thanks for answers, Lennis

<small>[ July 24, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Svensson ]</small>
Mx-3 GS. CAI, dtm rear muffler, H&R spring with camber bolts. Painted interior, rebuilded front with gs lip and splitters. Real supra rear wing custom fitted almost done. blue homemade underkit neon, neon inside, glasfiber glovecompartment with the headunit in. XBOX + 7 inch screen .
aggressivemx

Re: Replace stock Air filter with a Cone air filter

Post by aggressivemx »

i didnt know what to do with it either so i just left it to hang, and ive had no problems
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

what is that thing for anyways? to get cooler air by the fan cooling it?? to relieve vacumm?? to make the air hot?? I turned mine upside down away from the exhaust..i might block it off... i think its justb a waste of space... what does it do?? anyone??
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
odds1

Post by odds1 »

I blocked it. Do not do that. The engine will stall.
It runs fine when you throttle it, but dies
when you put the clutch in.

Odds
Odds, Norway
Red `93 GS, Stock
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
what is that thing for anyways? to get cooler air by the fan cooling it?? to relieve vacumm?? to make the air hot?? I turned mine upside down away from the exhaust..i might block it off... i think its justb a waste of space... what does it do?? anyone??
What THING are you talking about? the thin hose asked about in the original posting, or the hollow tube that extends down after the VAF? I think the tube has to do with intake resonance.. I'd syspect it works on concert witth the VRIS stuff. That tube is completely sealed, so I can't imagine it's for anything else. Besides, letting any kind of air in AFTER the VAF would mess up the airflow readings..
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

HA..I turned that hollow tube that goes nowhere...and my engine light went on in the morning for a few mins LOL oh yeah..i had also removed the plastic vent pipe...in other words i just had the hole open in the air filter box..seems kinda slower. Im putting it back on.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
... i think its justb a waste of space...
IMHO, everything on a KL engine is there because a crowd of damn good engineers insisted it had to be, despite a crowd of accountants telling them it was too expensive :)

<small>[ July 27, 2004, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

The line you see coming out of the intake pipe is connected to the line that was originally connected to the airbox. It is a vaccum sensor that is used in calculation of the fuel to air mixture in your engine.

mine came off once and when I put the pedal down you could see some black smoke coming from my tailpipe because I was running too rich. Reattached it and I got more mileage and no more smoke at high RPMs.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

ok the first link you posted is my intake...that little vacuum that was originally plugged on the oem air box is now plugged just beside the big vacuum on my cold air intake. It's egr related so don't leave unplugged unless you have a ze and are not running egr anymore...since it was useless on my engine I cap it

take a look at that diagram

oem vacuum set-up

the line that is suppose to plug into the intake is the red one (it says to intake tract)..it goes the 2 soloenoid valve and then to a T t othe vris..If you don't want to use it take off the T on the vris diragram and run it straight..

but if you use egr plug it as shown in the picture..hope this helps
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”