question about ECU's and OBD-II

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Redhouse

question about ECU's and OBD-II

Post by Redhouse »

here's my problem - I have a 96 GS and i would love to put a klde engine w. corresponding OBD-II ecu into my car to replace my K8.

as i am well aware very few people have done this and my research tells me that a lot of ecu's from 1996 cars that have the klde (626, PGT, MX-6) are the same part number (for ATX tranny).

Now I don't want to go through all the effort of dropping in the KLDE and swapping out the ecu if its not going to work. I want to be sure that the pin-outs and the wiring to the ecu for a 96 KLDE is the same as the 96 ecu that is currently running my K8.

so here's my question - to test the compatibility of the ecu from a 1996 626/PGT/MX-6, could i buy an ATX ecu from one of these cars and simply replace my existing ecu and see if it will run my K8 and my dashboard and all my sensors BEFORE swapping in the KLDE engine to be sure it will work?

or is this a stupid idea for doing a preliminary viability test of swappnig a KLDE into a 96 OBDII mx-3?

ianl? anyone want to comment on this?

thanks in advance

greg
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: question about ECU's and OBD-II

Post by IanL »

Greg,

Assuming your car is MTX, I think that plan should demonstrate what you can expect when you put in the KLDE, apart from bad fuel/air ratio, maybe some idling issues, and perhaps the wrong VRIS points. Only query is why you want to put in an ATX ECU from a MX-6/PGT. If you're trying for best match with a KLDE Millenia IM, I think you should use an ECU from a KLDE Millenia.

If, on the other hand, you're planning to shoe-horn a straight neck IM in, you should use an MX-6/PGT MTX ECU. The reason I say that is that we know the KLZE Millenia ECU (KL62) throws codes when in an MTX car, so there's a good chance the KLDE equivalent will too.

Btw, I have a 1996 MX-3 Electrical Manual coming, so I hope to be able to be more definite about OBDII MX-3 wiring in a few weeks.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

omg.

i meant MTX.. not atx. duh. sorry.

thanks for the reply ianl.. i'll see what i can get my hands on and give you a report when i know more

one more thing - a problem that i can see with using the millenia ecu is i'm guess almost all 1996 millenia were ATX and doesn't the millenia use a very different Air Flow Meter. I believe the part# is E5T51271 - not sure the ecu would work well with the MX-3 VAF?

it might work well enough for the little experiment of testing the viability of ecu's but i would probably need the millenia air flow meter on the KLDE w. millenia curved neck manifold if i was to use the Millenia ECU in the final setup?

hahahah and on a side note, do any 1996 KLDE equipped MTX millenia actually exist to steal an ecu from??

greg

<small>[ July 23, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ridout ]</small>
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Greg Ridout:
one more thing - a problem that i can see with using the millenia ecu is i'm guess almost all 1996 millenia were ATX and doesn't the millenia use a very different Air Flow Meter. I believe the part# is E5T51271 - not sure the ecu would work well with the MX-3 VAF?

it might work well enough for the little experiment of testing the viability of ecu's but i would probably need the millenia air flow meter on the KLDE w. millenia curved neck manifold if i was to use the Millenia ECU in the final setup?

hahahah and on a side note, do any 1996 KLDE equipped MTX millenia actually exist to steal an ecu from??

greg
Oops, right, you will need the MAF with the Millenia ECU. And yes, according to Chiltons, the Millenia was available till 1998, but only ATX, of course.

But I expect the MX-6 ECU isn't too bad a match with the Millenia IM, and a better bet for your experiment.

<small>[ July 23, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”