KJ 2.3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
TsiMiata

Re: KJ 2.3

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by Mariusz:
I've spoken with them and, they probably know what they are doing. They have a electronic guy on site.They also try to find informations about:

1) Is the center of gravity between K8 and KJ the same ?
2) Is there a chance to having troubles with position of "i don't know if this is proper word for this part" semi-axle ?, they should be in stright angle according to the engine. They have doubts about that the same location of mounting bolts is guarranty of this.

As the example of a hard swap which they have completed is swapping a VTEC engine to a non VTEC car with all sensors harness and others.

Reg,
Mariusz.
If they are asking these kinds of questions they havent done the swap and have no idea what is involved.

yes the engine bolts right in with your old mounts. The CG is probably ever so slightly higher due to the supercharger being mounted on top of the engine. The difference is so very, very small though it would be impossible to notice any difference in the cars handling. I wonder why they even want to know that.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

I don't have any idea why they need such informations, but i want to provide them as much informations as i can obtain to minimalize amount of suprises during swap. Also do you have any informations about potential problems with semi-axles between K8 and KJ ?

Mario.
Dreaming about K8 to KJ swap :]
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

by semi-axle i tihnk they mean transaxle. They are worried about the cv joints and how well they well line up. They will line up just fine. The only possible gotcha is if you use a millenia tranny the splines maybe different. That could be the same too. I just don't know.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

Finally a good news, 2 problems less: CG and transaxle :)
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

Now i have two posibilities like I mentioned before importing a KL-ZE for a 1800$ with ECU and shipping or KJ, to be honest 300Nm torque from a KJ instead of 230 KL-ZE and lower fuel consumption pushing me to try this KJ in the other hand there will less amount of troubles during KL-ZE swap. Can you post me your suggestions ?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

You have the classic dilemma; more gain but more risk.

My view is that the engine control things can all be sorted out - you're into electronics, and they have an electronics guy. If you have the right ECU for the engine, and they are prepared to run extra cables and source the extra harness connectors (they are, aren't they? - worth a question) it should work out ok.

My doubts are whether it will physically fit, so perhaps you should get them to buy the KJ engine & ECU, and then if it doesn't fit, they are left with it, and you go for the KLZE - so they take the risk. If they are not prepared to do that - just go for the KLZE.

If you do go for the KJ, you'll be the first on this board with a Miller Cycle MX-3, and I will be extremely jealous :)
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

Sorry to put my off topic word here but one thing worried me...I have mx-3 from 96/97 and from what I understood it is OBDII. Does this mean KL-Ze swap is impossible or much more difficult then OBDI?
Sorry for off topic again :D
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

[quote]Originally posted by valdigre:
Sorry to put my off topic word here but one thing worried me...I have mx-3 from 96/97 and from what I understood it is OBDII. Does this mean KL-Ze swap is impossible or much more difficult then OBDI?
Sorry for off topic again :)

<small>[ June 23, 2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

I can't wait theirs reply about this topic.
They gathering all informations together and they will prepare a offer. I want to have this KJ swap even for $2500 but i rather to pay less :) My question is what can I do with the gearbox. For now i can live with the stock one and don't push it to the edge but in the future I want to use all KJ's power. I don't want ATX, ATX is no fun also recovery after failure is expensive. What can I do to increase parameters of the stock GB or which MTX GB can i use ?. I heard something about freezing elements in the low temperature in some kind of gas.

PS. And what about the cluth ? Stock one is not gonna make it I think.

Reg,
Mariusz

<small>[ June 23, 2004, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Mariusz ]</small>
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

For the clutch I'm using a clutch masters. Any good aftermarket one will do such as ACT etc.. Just get one for a ford probe or mx-6 2.5. Then use your stock flywheel.

The problems with the stock tranny(which is the same as the 626, probe, mx-6 trannies except for the gear ratios) is that the cases cracks at high torque levels. I highly doubt you will have any trouble though. People dont start breaking them until they get 250-300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels. Even then its usually at the drag strip they are breaking them.

IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I can't wait theirs reply about this topic.
They gathering all informations together and they will prepare a offer. I want to have this KJ swap even for $2500 but i rather to pay less.....
I hope they don't read this board, or that will be the price they'll offer :roll: lol
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

So I can sleep well with my stock gb :) (third good news)
Should I use stock flywheel from K8(MX-3) or KJ(Millena) ?

IanL: I hope they don't:), god I'm so impatient why all this things are taking so long. The hardest part probably will be waiting for a swap finish a whole week :) (if they gonna make it) if something goes wrong i must wait for shipping KL-ZE 20 days :(
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Should I use stock flywheel from K8(MX-3) or KJ(Millena) ?
I would say stick with the Millenia flywheel, as long as its suitable to take the clutch - I'm willing to bet there's no-one who's tried a lightened flywheel on a KJ, and you are doing enough risk-taking already ;)

<small>[ June 23, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

All i wanna say is good luck and hope it works!

The First KJ Mx-3 :2thumbsup:

Hey, wouldn't tha be the first KJ swap ever? I don't think i've even heard of a 626/mx-6/Probe being swapped with a KJ
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

The new age of KJ MX-3's :) Man I love reading about parameters of the KJ, I want to check them on the track in my MX-3. I have hope that they do this right , I'm still waiting for the reply from them, if they still want to accomplish this swap with all these problems and what the cost will be.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”