Curved neck KLZE with interal coil pack (KL01 cams?)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

Curved neck KLZE with interal coil pack (KL01 cams?)

Post by mdavis »

Hi guys. So I was swapping ym distributor from the K8 to the KL and found that the caps are different.. My KL doesn't have an external coil pack that most have.. I'm not sure which engine it's supposed to be from, but it came with a curved neck, and the EGR port on the back of the IM is blocked off... #1 Should I just use the K8 dist/cap? Or should I leave the KL's in? (The spark plug wires appear to be unmodified on the KL, but they are in a different order to the plugs than on my K8 that just came out of my MX-3...) Also, I'm a bit confused about my cams... My engine appears tobe a JDM Millenia KLZE (correct?) So that means it has KL01 cams? Yes? I've read conflicting posts.. does this mean I only have 170fly hp? Someone is going to die if so...
GS-R SE
Fixin's
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: Curved neck KLZE with interal coil pack (KL01 cams?)

Post by babyblueMX3 »

the curve neck jdm engine came with kl01 cams..so it's ok ..use your k8 disty because the other one won't work..it happend to couple of guys to have a 6 plug disty on a klze engine...but the engine does still have round 195hp..
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
the curve neck jdm engine came with kl01 cams..so it's ok ..use your k8 disty because the other one won't work..it happend to couple of guys to have a 6 plug disty on a klze engine...but the engine does still have round 195hp..
I see... I have a KL36 ECU.. is this ok with my cams? Also, aren't these cams "bad" for 1/4 miles? Because they generate top tq at about 4300, not 5500? Thanks! ;)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

ecu is ok..not a problem...as far as 1/4 mile is concerned with those cam..it'll make a little difference..it's the stock cams on a klde engine so it's not that bad
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hmm... Ok. Any suggestions on where to get a set of KL36 cams? Or any other cams while I'm at it.. I think I remeber heard something about "mike's" cams? Thanks again ;)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

there's no such things as kl36 cams..I think you are refering to the kl31 cams (in j-spec mx6)...and they are 2 other options...mike selli the one you were talking about makes "custom" grinds out of your stock cams...the other option is get the interprep cams..they are $$ and I'm not sure if they are even streetable...best place to find your kl31 cams are on boards such as probetalk.com mx6.com and here..check on ebay too..I think they have some for sale right now
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”