K8 almost out.. need some help with tranny

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

K8 almost out.. need some help with tranny

Post by mdavis »

Hello. So today I just about got my K8 pulled, but I'm kinda stuck... So I disconnected everything (electrical, hoses, etc.) Unbolted the down pipes, removed radiator, all that. Everything is done except the tranny. I'm not sure what to do. I read as much as I could about it, but I'm still a bit lost.. Would someone mind give me a simple step-step on how to free the tranny to be pulled out with the engine? I disconnected the shifter linkage, and that other rod next to it (very similar) I understand I have to remove the axles by prying them with a crow bar.. That's all I know, I'm assuming I've left a few holes in between.. thanks guys, this is a big help!
GS-R SE
Fixin's
rebel2k4

Re: K8 almost out.. need some help with tranny

Post by rebel2k4 »

Make sure the linkage, axles, and all mounts are off, as well as any electrical connections and you should be good to go.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Ok, cool. I read something about some sort of clip on the axel... does it need to be replaced with a new one when you re-install the axel? Also, what exactly do I need to do before I can pry the axles out... Sorry, I did search this, but I'm still fuzzy.. Thanks!
GS-R SE
Fixin's
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Originally posted by mdavis:
Ok, cool. I read something about some sort of clip on the axel... does it need to be replaced with a new one when you re-install the axel? Also, what exactly do I need to do before I can pry the axles out... Sorry, I did search this, but I'm still fuzzy.. Thanks!
No clip doenst need to be replaced. In fact aftermarket clips are usually too stiff and cause axles to get stuck in tranny (not fun)

Make sure the axle is out of the hub and free to move, then pry it out with a picklefork or big flathead screwdriver and a hammer. Be careful not to damage the axle seal and beware as some fluid may come out after you remove the axle.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Tis all good. Thanks for the help!
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

ya, getting the axles out is the hardest part.

To get the passenger one out, its easier to remove the 3 bolts holding on the intermediate shaft. you'll have to remove the exhaust downpipe and then remove those 3 14mm bolts, then the axle w/intermediate shaft attached should pop out really easy.

The engine mounts are acutally on the transmission....there are 2 on bottom and 1 right under the battery tray on top. Also be sure to remove the slave cylinder w/hydralic line from the top of the tranny, otherwise you'll have to rebleed the system. , just set it aside.

After that, you should be able to lift the engine w/tranny easily.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Also it wouldnt be a bad idea to change those axle seals while your at it. Once everything as stated above is done, also just wiggle the transmission back and forth after youve removed the mounting bolts.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”