ecu fast question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3RR

Re: ecu fast question

Post by MX-3RR »

you mean the thing after the air filter??? right???
MX-3RR

Post by MX-3RR »

but you are getting me confused now, what about the MAF??? where is it then???
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

the MAF was used on the SOHC 4 cyls, the rest have VAFs, some people get them confused, the VAF is the thing after the filter
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by MX-3RR:
you mean the thing after the air filter??? right??? but you are getting me confused now, what about the MAF??? where is it then???
Hope ya don't mind me jumping back in here.

Yes, the "thing" after the air filter is the location of a VAF. It's also the same location to find the MAF. You can only have one OR the other on a motor but their location in the air intake path is the same.
chertel

Post by chertel »

Can the vaf be removed so there is no restriction and a maf put on? Probably a stupid question. I am not a mechanic but is there any way to make the intake less restrictive?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by hertelchris:
Can the vaf be removed so there is no restriction and a maf put on? Probably a stupid question. I am not a mechanic but is there any way to make the intake less restrictive?
The MAF is not electrically interchangeable with the VAF. You need to change the ECU as well. I believe the only KL ECU which works with a MAF is the KL62. To use that in an OBDI (92-95) MX-3 would require extensive harness modification, and some finagling to fool it into thinking it's got an ATX. Oh, and the MAF itself requires some wiring changes, but that's been posted on Probetalk. And you really should use the curved neck Millenia manifold with the KL62 for best results. I think that's it.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

hmm this may save me some money... im buying a KLZE VAF...but i still have my 1.8 ecu and atx controller... im swapping in a KLZE with ATX and i need to use that ATX controller.... is it possible to use the 1.8 ECU and the KLZE ATX controller side by side?
what kind of car IS that?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The KL ATX Controller requires a signal from ECU terminal 2A, which is not implemented on the K8 ECU. I don't know the signal function, and whether it might be rigged from another source. You would need the Mazda Shop Manual for a KL fitted car to find out. I would fit the KL36 ECU and the KL ATX controller.

If you still have the original VAF from the K8, you don't need to buy a KLZE VAF - they are the same part!

<small>[ June 14, 2004, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
MX-3RR

Post by MX-3RR »

I think I get it now , VAF and MAF are almost the same , the diference is that they work on diferent engines. right?? anyway I got it now. thanks.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”