Where is the EGR on this manifold?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

Where is the EGR on this manifold?

Post by mdavis »

Hi guys. I'm doing the KLZE swap and live in California. I would like to pass smog - I was told that the US 1996 Millennia intake manifold is the same as the JSpec one (curved neck) with the exception that the US one had an EGR port.. (I THINK somewhere I heard that other years of Millennia manifolds would work, but that there were variations - but, as long as I got a '96 it would be the right one) Well I ordered an intake manifold from a Millennia that arrived yesterday - on the phone they said it was from a 96, but the tag that was on the manifold when I got it said it was from a 94... So, my question is, is this the correct manifold? If so, where is the EGR? http://www.cs.sonoma.edu/~dsimpson/whereistheegr.jpg Also, here is the new manifold resting on top of the KLZE (and its intake manifold under it) http://www.cs.sonoma.edu/~dsimpson/aretheythesame.jpg They look the same, eh? Thanks for the help, guys.

-Morgan
GS-R SE
Fixin's
bubba_03

Re: Where is the EGR on this manifold?

Post by bubba_03 »

Plots J-14
J-15
K-14
K-15

in the first picture. As for the second picture the manifold on the bottom has an EGR plate blocking the plot on the first pics manifold.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

see on your millenia intake where its open and there is a plate on the J-Spec? thats your EGR solenoid thing, let me find pics of mine, hang on
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

:D and ebay of course

<small>[ June 03, 2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hi again. Hmm... so, on the manifold I already had (with the plate over the EGR) does anybody know if I can just take the plate off and use the manifold I had all along? (basically: the Jpesc manifold that I got with my engine has that plate over the EGR port - is it 1) still a "good" EGR port, just covered, or, 2) not actually a working port because it's a Jspec manifold

Hope that's clear.. lol Thanks for the help :)

Ok let me reitterate this one more time, just for clarity. lol. If i keep the KLZE manifold I already had (with the plate - the one that came with, and is on my KLZE right now) should I just be able to pull the plate off the EGR port, and put my K8's EGR unit on it? Or, do I still have to use the Millennia manifold (without the place right now) Also, do I need a new EGR unit? Or can I use my MX-3 (K8)'s? Thanks again... lol
GS-R SE
Fixin's
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I believe the EGR Control Valve for the K8 will be fine on the ZE. EDIT - that's wrong - see Curt's post below.

But I remember a post a while back about needing a port on the exhaust side for the valve to connect to. (You need access to the exhaust to recirculate exhaust gas :) )

I can't remember the detail, but it may have been something about the ZE not having that port. Try a search.

<small>[ June 05, 2004, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hm. I'm not sure I know that you're saying.. Are you saying you heard there was a port missing on the EGR unit, the exhaust MANIFOLD port, or inside the intake manifold port? :) Btw I will search it. Thanks :)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Its a bit difficult to remember, but I think it was something like engines with EGR have a port from the exhaust through to the flange on the inlet manifold on which the EGR sits - it doesn't communicate to the inlet tract, just to the port on the flange. IF I remember correctly, you have to do some work on the ZE to implement that.

By the way, the ZE ECU will not control the EGR, so you will either have to use a US model ECU, or the EGR will be "for display only", in which case the port thing won't matter!
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I think that you're thinking of is that the K8 exhaust manihold has a port for the EGU echaust hose.. Also, I hear you can pass CA smog if you use the stock K8 ECU temporarily.. I'm looking into this fuel alcohol thing - does anybody know anythig about it? Also, in my county they are now smogging cars on dynos... I don't know why, but for sure, you have to go to a place with a dyno to smog, and it's like $70! (El Dorado County)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

1) you cant swap The EGR from tyhe k8 on to the millenia manifold, as the K8 egr bolts to the cylinder head, not the intake manifold.
2) your intake is missing the EGR.
3) the rear exhaust manifolds are different from the K8 and millenia.
3) the EGR exhaust tubes from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valves are different.
4) yes, if you remove the block off plate, attach a proper Millenia EGR and modify an exhuast tube from a millenia to fit, then hook up the vaccume line properly, and use a K8 or KL ECU, the egr will work properly.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Thank you! very helpful! So, my plan here is to return the other strait-neck manifold (from the Millennia) and find an EGR from a Millennia, hopefully with the exhaust hose. Then just take the plate off when I swap the motor.. So, what do you mean "modify" the exhaust hose?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

GS-R SE
Fixin's
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

look on my pic the solenoids are just past the connector you see on your left, you need both, the solenoids run the big thing on the back

<small>[ June 05, 2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>

mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Damn.. so I need both, correct? The valve and the solonoids? Can I just use the K8 solonoids with the new valve? :)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

1) the millenia is the "CURVED NECK"
2) the MX-6 is the "STRAIGHT" neck.
3) use the stock egr solinoids from the k8 and just run the vaccume line to the millenia egr.
4) the EGR exhaust pipe rins from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. hense the name Ehaust Gas Recirculation valve.
5) since the millenia exhaust manifold and k8 manifold are different, and the EGR location is also different, you will need to bend the pipe so it will attach to your k8 exhaust manifold and Millenia EGR valve.
6) the EGR and the Pipe are separet items, and dont attach directly to each other.
7) the pipe ACUALLY attached to the Intake manifold, if you look on the bottom of the millenia manifold right under the block off plate you will see the hole that it screws into.

<small>[ June 06, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: curtklze ]</small>
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”