acceleration

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
1992mx3

acceleration

Post by 1992mx3 »

I have tryed the search already...
When I am in like 1st through 4th accelerating I push the pedal down half way it is fine but then I try to floor it and there is no more. It is like half acceleration is all i get. In 5th gear dirving with the pedal half way down at about 70mph then press the pedal to the metal it takes off like a bat out of hell. Does anyone know or have had this problem before. the car is a 92 mx3 v-6 with 59745 miles.
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 speed6, Wife say's i can't work on it.
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin Replica
2006 toyota tacoma
1995 MX-6 in pieces almost ready for the junk yard, To much body damage.
lakersfan1

Re: acceleration

Post by lakersfan1 »

I think in 5th gear just so much air is being shoved into the intake, it can actually make use of full throttle. My half and full throttle while still accelerating don't seem very different either. :shrug:
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Either of you guys using a cold air intake or are ya using the stock intake/airbox with paper element type filter? Those standard paper element filters are very restrictive and if the air coming into the engine is restricted that way, so is the gas being added to match airflow = sluggish acceleration in mid & upper rpm ranges.

I noticed a pretty significant increase in throttle response under the conditions you describe, AFTER I installed a new intake setup. Most noticeable improvement was from the "top" of 2nd gear @ 2800+ RPM and the same improvement in 3rd & 4th as well.
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

I am using pretty much the same setup but I took off the air box and stuck a filter to the end of the MAF. I am going to construct a new intake all together today and see if there is a difference after that. I am also going to change the fuel filter if I can find a place that will sell me the right one. ours is huge and the sales guy gave me a dinky small one.
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 toyota tacoma
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You might also reset the TPS. If it is off then you'll get crappy throttle response.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
I think in 5th gear just so much air is being shoved into the intake, it can actually make use of full throttle. My half and full throttle while still accelerating don't seem very different either. :shrug:
The ram effect at 70 mph is less than 1% of that from the vacuum from the engine - it makes no detectable difference.

I don't have the problem described, and my intake is stock, except that I have a K&N replacement filter element in the box. So I would say that it isn't the intake, and, anyway, if the engine can suck the air in in 5th, there's no reason why it can't in the lower gears.

The only thing I can think of is that transmitted torque is greater in the lower gears, and you may be experiencing clutch slip.

<small>[ June 03, 2004, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

That does make cents from dollars tecnicaly. There is one more thing on top of that, when I take off from a complete stop it often boggs down as if I have the air conditioner on but I don't. If I do have the air on sometimes it seems as if it is going to stall, infact cam real real close. I just changed the fuel filter two days ago. Is there anything else I should look into cause it is still like that. Please reply it would be greatly apreciated.
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 toyota tacoma
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Check for cracks in the intake boot.

Do you ever get any check engine lights?
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

actually I figured it out I think. I pulled the distributor cap and there was like .010 of an inch worth of built up crud on the points of contact on all of them. I cleaned it up and it runs much better. There is still to great of a gap between the rotor and the cap points so I am going to replace them.
P.S. My pops has a 2003 honda civic and he and I raced last night and I totaly killed him...ha ha ha pops.
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 toyota tacoma
fIyingchopstick

Post by fIyingchopstick »

Hell I do that now with my stock 1.8 . I know that had to break his wittle heart :D
" fo shizzle my nizzle "

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”