9.2CR ZE???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Damious

9.2CR ZE???

Post by Damious »

hey everyone, i was searching for some info on this site and stumbled across something that perked up my ears...

"klze from 2001 and up has 9.2:1 CR and the hp rating is a little lower at 192hp and 160lb torque

If you have a 94+ mx-3 you can use any klze. mine was handpicked and came from australia and not from japan."

now in the rest of the posts no one had commented on if this was true or not... just wondering if it is...

thanx for your help

<small>[ May 23, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Trancelucent ]</small>
-Damian

***if u know of/have a mx-3 GS with a blown engine and live around me... let me know ;) ***
Gro Harlem

Re: 9.2CR ZE???

Post by Gro Harlem »

Not sure I understand what your asking?

Its true there is a 9.2:1 K-series with the KL-ZE heads. If you want one of these, just get a US-Spec millenia KL engine, they have the KL31 heads, KL01 cams, and the 9.2:1 compression along wtih the curved neck manifold w/square runners.

As for Austrailian engines, of coures they'll work!!! They sold them there, why wouldn't their engines fit? Quite a few of the imported engines you see reaching the states are from Europe, Austro-asia and other regions besides japan. All of these engines were built in Japan by Mazda.

<small>[ May 23, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Gro Harlem ]</small>
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Its true, see this post:

http://www.mx-3.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=004582#000008

This is the KLZE fitted in Japan, it's been de-tuned to meet emission requirements.

<small>[ May 23, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Wouldn't it be a little difficult to make an OBDII 2001 KLZE engine work with an OBDI 94 system? :confused2:
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by MX3-Freak:
Wouldn't it be a little difficult to make an OBDII 2001 KLZE engine work with an OBDI 94 system? :confused2:
i tought it was only the wiring harness/ecu that could be obd1 or 2...not the engine itself..or was I wrong
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

You might be right. I just assumed the Engine was different aswell. Automotive electrical has always confused the hell out of me. :crying:

<small>[ May 23, 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Damious

Post by Damious »

sorry for the confusion, i was just making sure this version of the klze was for real and not just talk. for me it seems like a best of both world kind of deal... ur getting the off-boost power u want, and still the ability to crank up the boost pretty well... or am i wrong? seems like a better choice then a DE... or is the klze still harder (less room for error) as far as tuning goes?

<small>[ May 24, 2004, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Trancelucent ]</small>
-Damian

***if u know of/have a mx-3 GS with a blown engine and live around me... let me know ;) ***
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

You have the same maximum torque as the KLDE, so the same acceleration, although that isn't the whole story, because you need the shape of the curve to tell whether the "new" ZE is better than the DE or vice-versa. As far as maximum power goes, the ZE looks better, so you will reach a higher top speed, but I suggest that's theoretical for most of us.

The only electrical difference between the OBD1 and 2 engines that I've found any reference to is the distributor, but you can just use an OBD1 distributor, or change the wiring (there's a post on this site saying how to do it). If you want to use the correct ECU for the engine (mainly affects the open/close points for the VRIS valves), then it's a whole new ball game. I think I have mapped the OBD1 harness to the OBD2 ECU (and vice-versa) but, as far as I know, only one person in Estonia has tried a cross-OBD swap (he wanted to put an OBD1 ECU into an OBD2 car!) and we don't know whether it worked ok.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Damious

Post by Damious »

sorry the whole OBDI/OBDII thing has me :freak:

out of all the engines... i for sure dont wanna deal with a different OBD system.... are the de/ze(high CR) both OBDI?

i just want to make whatever engine i get less complicated...

<small>[ May 24, 2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Trancelucent ]</small>
-Damian

IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I'll try to summarise:

There is nothing about the KLDE or KLZE (high comp) engine itself which changes between OBD1 and 2. The thing to do is to fit an ECU which is right for the engine and right for your car's harness. So for a KLDE engine in an OBD1 car, fit a KLDE OBD1 ECU. For a KLZE (high comp) the ECUs (KL31 and KL36) are OBD1 only.

The complications only arise if you have an OBD2 car, or you want to fit one of the newer (9.2:1) KLZEs. In the latter case, the ECU plugs/sockets are four (just like OBD2) even though the engine is from Japan, which does not use OBD2, and the ECU expects an auto tx, so it would have to be fooled. I don't think the way to do that has been worked out, as yet.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Originally posted by Trancelucent:
hey everyone, i was searching for some info on this site and stumbled across something that perked up my ears...

"klze from 2001 and up has 9.2:1 CR and the hp rating is a little lower at 192hp and 160lb torque

If you have a 94+ mx-3 you can use any klze. mine was handpicked and came from australia and not from japan."

now in the rest of the posts no one had commented on if this was true or not... just wondering if it is...

thanx for your help
OMG don't get me started hehe
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

**** i have a new motor:) i think i gotta do a comp test to see what i got and see if it has more boost potential:)
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Jeff_Jeske

Post by Jeff_Jeske »

Some KLZE motors actually were 9.2:1 compression motors. They also came with the wrong cams...KL01 instead of KL31.

These ZE motors were not 196HP motors.

To have a full 196HP motor you need the KL31 heads, KL31 cams, square port runner intake, and flat top high compression pistons.
WWW.JEFFJESKE.COM
96 Probe GT KLZE - 13.8@100
JEFFJESKE@JEFFJESKE.COM
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

Originally posted by Jeff_Jeske:
Some KLZE motors actually were 9.2:1 compression motors. They also came with the wrong cams...KL01 instead of KL31.

These ZE motors were not 196HP motors.

To have a full 196HP motor you need the KL31 heads, KL31 cams, square port runner intake, and flat top high compression pistons.
Yes they were called Millenia engines in the US... and they are 170hp w/ a Maf but more torque than a KLDE due to intake and head ports...

And that's why I will never buy anything but a straight-neck KL31 cammed KLZE.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”