Why is my KL-ZE running so slow?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
TsiMiata

Re: Why is my KL-ZE running so slow?

Post by TsiMiata »

A clogged cat could make a 12 second car run 20's- it can make a huge difference. Until you get that ecu swapped you won't see the full power of the ZE. Just a little rich or lean will kill performance.

Also what were your 60' times?

<small>[ May 19, 2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Maybe check your thottle linkage? Check that at the throttle body that the butterfly valve is open all the way with the gas on the floor.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My first ZE run was 15.9...it took 4 nights to finally get down to 15.0...than 1sickmx6 drove my car and got got a 14.75 on his first try...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

I was just watching your description Nd4SpdSe and I have this question...What sense does it make to have 2.5 inch exhaust with a standard cat?????? Or is it written that without cat...
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

its still better than a 1 3/4" exhaust
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

you cant drive my friend, plain and simple... and i really dont mean to be a prick, but we need more info than just your 1/4m time. what were your 60footers like? if theyre crap, your time will also be crap- and for the comment about having a DE instead of a ZE, i ran 14.6 with ****ty *** tires, maybe my engine is a freak and ****ed up of something, even tho its in rough shape and eats tonnes of oil. anyway, post up your 60's, if there not so great, that will explain a LOT, trust me. first couple of times i ran i got like 2.5-2.6 60's and mid 15 second runs.
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

Wow, thanks man. You are a nice guy. I was asking for help with my engine and you bust that out. I'm actually a pretty good driver. My 60 foot times weren't good. I don't have very good tires. The best one was 2.34. You don't even know me and you just come out and say that I can't drive. I'd like to show you that I can drive. But I really can't prove it online. So too bad I guess. Thanks for the help!
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

man chill for a sec will you. i said i wasnt trying to be a prick! based on the info you posted up, i made an assumption, cause you didnt post any 60footers. i probably SHOULDNT have, but its too late now. 2.34 isnt that bad, but yeah your time should be a high 14 with that at the least. wierd stuff.. ever run it on a dyno and see what numbers come up? maybe you posted THAT up and i missed it completely :shrug: hope you figure out whats wrong man
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by valdigre:
I was just watching your description Nd4SpdSe and I have this question...What sense does it make to have 2.5 inch exhaust with a standard cat?????? Or is it written that without cat...
It was weird, but i was force to get a new exaust system, the old run rusted out and fell off just after the cat, so i got that replaced with a 2.5" cause thats one of the best ones to get...i'm still running stock cat cause i didnt have the money for a high-flow cat at the time, and i wanna get headers, which will require me to move the cat, so i'd rather do headers and cat at once.

It did help improve high-end power, but i also noticed a loss in low-end torque

<small>[ May 21, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

This happened to me just recently...I noticed I lost alot of power throughout the entire power band. Well, after about 2 days my car just died. Wouldn't start, nothing. Turns out it's my alternator. Of course, if this is the problem you would have found out within a few days of light driving. :shrug: Something to think about.....
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

Ok, apology accepted... I hollowed out my cat and that made a big difference. But it sounds TERRIBLE!! LOL I swore after my last car that I'd never drive a car without a cat again.... :mad: Oh well. I think I lost some low end though. OK, the VRIS solinoid plugs are two different colors, one is blue and one is white. Which one goes to which. I have the blue one on the left and the white one on the right. When you are looking down at the engine bay from the front of the car. I just need to get back to the track now. I just got new tires for my 17'' rims so that will help with the traction department. Better than the all weather tires on there now!
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”