92 v6 starting problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hadj10

92 v6 starting problems

Post by hadj10 »

hey everyone, i've spent the last couple days reading old posts, and tried some solutions; and it dind't help. Heres the situation, sometimes when i go to start the car it turns over alot before it fires. It seems to do this more when the engine is cold (sitting over night). Other times it starts right up with no problems.

Here is what i've tried so far, replace spark plugs, changed fuel filter, replaced air filter, and have been running fuel injector cleaner every 2nd fill. It almost seems that theres not enough fuel pressure!?!...i hope it's not the fuel pump! :confused:

If anyone has some more ideas or had the same problem please let me know.

thanks
korban

Re: 92 v6 starting problems

Post by korban »

sounds like your distributor is of a few degrees..
hadj10

Post by hadj10 »

hmmm...ok, so should i replace cap and rotor? or do i line it up some how...
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

could be
fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
plugs/wires
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
hadj10

Post by hadj10 »

ok, where abouts if the fuel regulator located?
i don't think it woud be plug wires..there fairly new...As for the fuel pump i would think that this would be an issue even if the car was sitting for a couple hours, wouldn't it?

thanks for your replys
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

fuel pressure reg sits on the right handside of the intake manifold runners and is bracketed to the side. bit of a hard one to see cause it normally buried in vaccum hoses or fuel lines:) but its there you can swap them out pretty easily if you can find a spare one.

Fuel pump... if it goes it goes cant control those things just get a new one or an old one that works.

I know the fuel pumps from around the 1990 rx7 works in our cars. should be able to pick one of those up cheap or a second hand mazda one for cheap.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
hadj10

Post by hadj10 »

right on, i'll have a look at the fuel reg.

thanks alot for your help, i'll keep you posted :)
drafious

Post by drafious »

I had a very simlar problem, the car would start for weeks then would have trouble for a day or two then fine again.

Then one day it would just crank and crank but not fire. Check your spark on your wires they should be a strong spark goes at least a cm. If this only has a tiny spark or a weak orange looking one, it most likely you need to replace or recondition your disty. I had to replace mine. :( but now everything is running better than when i first got it.

Hope this helps.
MX - K8, 2 inch Cat Back, K&N Filter, TWM Short Shifter, CAI, Speedhut gauges.

200sx - 182kw's...oh baby thought boost was a waste of time boy was i wrong.
hadj10

Post by hadj10 »

well, it will sit there and crank for about 3-5 seconds. It seems to only do this in the mornings when the car is started up for the first time that day. After that it starts just fine and dandy! The plug wires are new NGK wires (good quality and pricey as hell) the plugs are new ngk platniums. As for the rotor and distributor cap, i have no idea on the age...i just got the car a month ago. I will be checking the fuel pres. reg....but we just got dumped 20cm of SNOW!!!within the last 2 days...so it's hard to do work outside. :mad:

thanks for your advice

t
Macen

Post by Macen »

Remove the distributor "lid/cap" and clean inside.

<small>[ May 13, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Macen ]</small>
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
hadj10

Post by hadj10 »

well after checking pretty much everything, i have come to the conclusion it is the fuel pump... here is my reasoning:
after the car sits for a long period of time the pressure in the fuel lines decrease, so when i start it in the morning it doesn't start right away due to lack of pressure; that is until the fuel pump, pumps a few times.

so what i do (until the pump dies) is i turn the key to the on position a couple times, this allows the fuel pump to activate a couple times b4 it actaully starts...so it starts right away with b/c the fuel pressure is there!

thanks for everyones input!

cheers

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”