top end torque

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valdigre

top end torque

Post by valdigre »

How to make our V6's have more top end torque?
You probably noticed that from 6000 - 7000 rpms there happens not really much, it is slowing down quite much even. How can you change this characteristics and make it like in v'tecs? (Excluding turbo) :confused2:
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
TsiMiata

Re: top end torque

Post by TsiMiata »

I think you really mean HP. Cams, throttle body, exhaust, intake. Really anything that improves flow through the engine should help the upper RPM's. Just don't expect any miracles in increases in power.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

some head work will produce more highend power, 3 angle valve job helps alot at higher rpms as it allows for better flow.
cost about (5-800 depending on what kind you have done)

You can also do larger Intake (3" will work wonders)

cams will give you more power, but your looking at spending about eh upward to around a grand (for interpreps cams)

but anyway you look at it your gonna spend alot and not for what its worth

On probetalk they have a turtorial on how to make make a box to control our vris this can sorta give you something similar to the vtech controlers

best bet and prollly your cheapest for more power is swapping to the 2.5 klze, will run you about 2-3 grand for the install and cost of the motor and you have an increasement of about 70hp.

and then you can do the mods on that motor and get way more power than what we could on the k8

i spent around 4500 on my 2.0 kf and mods and im running if not at the same power then close to the klzes, but due to a recent a$$hole running into me, i havent been able to get it dynoed untill i get the stuff taken care of with the insurance company.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

thanks for the reply guys but it is not hp what I meant. Hp is calculated basing on torque and torque is what gives us great acceleration and the feel of beeing pushed in the seat.
Anyway does anyone know any European supplier of KL-ZE engines?
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Hp is torque but expressed over time. If you increase upper rpm HP you are increasing torque. The peak torque might not change but because the engine is keeping the torque up at higher rpm then more Hp will be made.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

HP = Torque @ 5250 RPM in any gas engine, period.

Torque wins races, HP wins bench races.....

BTW the KF-ZE might have almost (-20hp) the same power as the KLZE but not nearly the same amount of torque (2.0L vs 2.5L simple to understand) as ANY KL motor due to displacement. Even KL03/DEs have more torque than a KFZE

The torque that the K8 and KF motors have are always going to be higher RPM as well than any KL. For my money I would never install anything smaller than 2.5L since it's the same weight and same package....
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by valdigre:
Anyway does anyone know any European supplier of KL-ZE engines?
This place
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

are those guys at uk worth the trust?
Has anyone bought engines at japanese engines? (sorry to go off topic )
onzlouk

Post by onzlouk »

I got my klze from there a couple of months back after being recomended there off this board, not installed it yet but it came without any hassle and it is very clean with a straight neck mani on, up to now id definately recomend them. Cost just under 900 GBP with delivery and taxes. :2thumbsup:
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by onzlo:
I got my klze from there a couple of months back after being recomended there off this board, not installed it yet but it came without any hassle and it is very clean with a straight neck mani on....
Do you think that mani will clear the battery?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

900 pounds????
But for the lone engine or with some bonuses like tranny and ECU??
onzlouk

Post by onzlouk »

With the battery relocated in the boot it will fit just fine ;) still tryin to locate a manufacturer for a relocation kit otherwise ill make one myself. 900 pounds got me just the engine im afraid but it worked out much cheaper, faster and hassle free than gettin one from America or Canada!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

VTEC doesn't make any torque, period. They make top end HP.

You can't have more torque than HP at anything above 5250, its impossible. Thats where the calculation for HP falls into place.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

I agree Gro but...
1.6 V-tec makes more less the same torque as K8 but with more top end hp pluss... its torque rises up until some 7000 rpm. The fuel cut is not far away so it gives you the acceleration feel up to the very end... that is what I dream to have in my Mx :2thumbsup:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”