Oil in intake manifold

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
heavenzjai

Oil in intake manifold

Post by heavenzjai »

I recently took a look at my spark plugs and noticed oil, so I suspect I need to change my valve cover gaskets. (oil is on the white side of spark plug)

After pulling my intake manifold off, i noticed that oil all up inside of it, is this normal? how is that much oil getting inside it?

And looking at the valve gasket, i don't see how oil is getting to my spark plugs. is there another way its getting to my spark plugs?
916 Blk MX3 V6
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Oil in intake manifold

Post by IanL »

Oil gets into the intake via the crankcase breather - its normal and its there for environmental reasons. If you dislike it, you can fit an oil catch tank to collect it, and then empty it from time to time and dispose of the contents with your used engine oil.

The oil round your plugs will almost definitely be from a leaking gasket. Quickest way to prove it, change them both. The leak will be around the holes through which the plugs fit - you won't be able to see it unless you take the covers off. It gets blown out by pressure under the covers.

<small>[ April 22, 2004, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
ikarus1

Re: Oil in intake manifold

Post by ikarus1 »

Originally posted by IanL:
The oil round your plugs will almost definitely be from a leaking gasket. Quickest way to prove it, change them both. The leak will be around the holes through which the plugs fit - you won't be able to see it unless you take the covers off. It gets blown out by pressure under the covers.
If you have pressure under your valvecover then your PCV valve is bad...... I would change that first before the gaskets, tighten them ever so slightly and see if it still leaks.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”