Engine Upgrades

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Engine Upgrades

Post by MikeUK »

OK, im not an engine guy, YET. I have a 1.8 V6, thinking of getting the holy KLZE. A few of the guys I know drive Nissan Pulsars, GTIRs and scoobys running low 12s on the 1/4 mile.

Any advice on how to bring my car into these 12s, can our MXs do it? With out using a sh*t load of NOS.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Engine Upgrades

Post by mitmaks »

i would assume that they dont run 12's with just bone stock swapped engine do they? most of them probably have turbo, forged internals, I say swap in KLDE and turbo it, add some N2O, custom ECU, you might hit high 12's
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

get rid of the GS and build a RS with a BPT or swap in a KL-DE and wait on the turbo headers
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

you c ould beat a 12sec in your GS...1/8mi:freak:
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Originally posted by papa roached:
get rid of the GS and build a RS with a BPT or swap in a KL-DE and wait on the turbo headers
Did I miss something? What turbo headers?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Post by MikeUK »

What size is the KLDE? Why is this better than the KLZE? Yes I am thick on engines.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

Talk to arron the hic
he was very close to breaking into 12s
and i know dave had a 11second mx3 that was turboed... i think the time slip was posted around here somewhere.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by MikeUK:
What size is the KLDE? Why is this better than the KLZE? Yes I am thick on engines.
it's not better...it's jsut more boost friendly because of it's 9.2:1 CR
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

All you need is a turbo KLDE. Boost it to like 12-14psi and you wont need to get any nitrous or whatever that mitmaks is talking about. MX-3s are very capable of hitting 12s no matter if you have the V6 or I4, people with Probes and MX-6s do it all the time and their cars weigh more than ours.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
Originally posted by MikeUK:
it's not better...it's jsut more boost friendly because of it's 9.2:1 CR
The best choice would be a US millenia engine. It has the low compression pistons but uses the better flowing intake manifold and heads of the KLZE.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
seneca

Post by seneca »

You ppl are great...yet you make it difficult to choose a set-up! lol
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

Originally posted by mitmaks:
i would assume that they dont run 12's with just bone stock swapped engine do they? most of them probably have turbo, forged internals, I say swap in KLDE and turbo it, add some N2O, custom ECU, you might hit high 12's
Just FYI, the Pulsar GTIr and Scooby (subaru) are both turbo cars from the factory. :roll: The reason they are in the twelves is that they are probably both running boost levels above 1 bar (14.5 psi to us yanks), good intercoolers, bigger turbos, and accurate fuel management. If you want to run with the big dogs, then you must duplicate their setups. I personally would go with the BPT, because I have yet to see a KL turbo run low twelves reliably like both of the cars you mentioned will. Seeing as you already have a V6 car, I would go with a KLDE and a single turbo setup either custom or whatever comes down the pipe as far as headers go, a T3/T4 50 trim turbo, Millenia S injectors, and an APEXi S-AFC. You'll probably be looking at $1500 USD just for the parts....

<small>[ April 22, 2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: J Love ]</small>
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”