KLO3 PROBLEM NEED SOME HELP

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MAZDABLOOD

KLO3 PROBLEM NEED SOME HELP

Post by MAZDABLOOD »

i got a 92 mx-3 with a 94 probe gt engine.the problem is when i use the k8 ecu after ten minutes the fans come on and my check engine light comes on.when i put the klo3 ecu i get no check engine light but the fans don't come on at all!the are both 5speed ecu'sneed some info so i can get this straighting out. thanks
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Re: KLO3 PROBLEM NEED SOME HELP

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I wouldn't know what the problem is with your fans but I also got a '94 PGT engine in my '92 MX3. Where in the Bronx do you live?? I live in Jamaica, Queens. Also, does the car overheat with the KL03 ECU in it??
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The 92 MX-3 has two coolant thermosensors:

Coolant thermosensor (EGI) - purple/blue wire to ECU terminal 2E

Coolant Thermosensor (Fan) - pink/black wire to ECU terminal 2G

The EGI sensor is the nearer to the firewall. The MX-3 manual says it is green. I'm not near my car at the moment, but I guess that's the colour of the plastic connector socket. The thermosensors have different characteristics, so the correct sensor has to be connected to each terminal.

The 94 MX-6 has only one thermosensor to 2E. Terminal 2G is not used.

If your engine has two sensors (could happen if you transferred them?) you need to check that the correct one is wired to 2E. If it isn't that, the explanation has to be something else to do with the above information.

Hope that helps.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Which MX3 manual has all that in it? Cause I got a couple of plugs laying around and I got no idea where they go. Also maybe I could cop an MX6 manual too.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I have Volume 1 of the Mazda 1993 MX-3 Workshop Manual for the UK. I got the last one from the last print run. They have run out of Volume 2 and won't print any more :(

The MX-6 information is in Haynes (N America) volume for 626/MX-6/Probe No 61042.

The Chiltons which covers the MX-3 (46802) cannot be relied upon. It gives one wiring diagram for 92-95, and doesn't mention both sensors in the early models.

I cross-checked the information with the CDROM Mitchell Repair Manual I have just bought from EBay ($14.99) Link here . It is first-class; you can see an example in Curt's post on the alternator .
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
MAZDABLOOD

Post by MAZDABLOOD »

ok now the thing about the two plugs,you can't mess up the way it plugs in because though they might look the same they cannnot be interchanged.i've got the plug that goes towards the firewall pluged.now what i noticed that on the filler neck to both engines the 1.8 has a sensor there,on the 94 probe there isn't one there.which i think is the reason that my check engine light comes on when i plug the 1.8 ecu and doesn't come on when i put the 2.5 ecu in.what i'm trying to see is i can plug the 2.5 in and figure out how to make the fans come on by switch,if anyone knows how to do that drop me a line so i can get this working right thanks :shrug: :2thumbsup:
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Maybe that thermosensor is defective - did you swap your K8 one in, or is it the one which came with the KL?

To run the fans, you need to apply a ground to these wires:

ECU Terminal 3L to Cooling Fan Relay (Yellow/Black)

ECU Terminal IL to Condenser Fan Lo Relay (Blue/Black)

ECU Terminal 3N to Condenser Fan Hi Relays (Red/Yellow)

(The latter two probably don't apply if the car has no aircon)

If the car is ATX, then the cooling fan appears to be two-speed, and this adds:

ECU Terminal 2P to Cooling Fan Hi Relays (Blue)

Note that the KLDE ECU expects a two speed cooling fan for ATX and MTX, and won't get it if the MX-3 is MTX.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

By any chance can you scan the pages with these plugs on it. Im having problems findng some plugs in my brothers KLDE that I'm swapping for him. If you can give me a plug diagram or picture or scan the info from the book or something I'd greatly appreciate it. I cant figure out where a few things plug into and I've been trying to finish it for awhile.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Illa Killa:
By any chance can you scan the pages with these plugs on it. ..
There are 10 sections of the diagram - each needs to be zoomed to double size, printed and scanned - that's 20 sheets. I'll need you to be more specific about the area of interest. Do you want just the plugs for the thermosensors?

Or you could buy the CDROM from EBay (it covers all Mazdas sold in the US from 1983 to 2000- not bad for $14.99!).

<small>[ April 19, 2004, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”