Custom exhausts

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
eldondemarco

Custom exhausts

Post by eldondemarco »

I own a 92 GS and am wondering what size the piping is from the cat back on the stock exhaust. I am about to buy a Megan muffler and am going to get it welded and all but I don't know if I should upgrade the pipe size or not. I am looking for performance obviously. So should I keep the stock piping and just weld on the muffler or not? The muffler input is 2 1/4 with a 4 inch tip.
Talon_66

Re: Custom exhausts

Post by Talon_66 »

I believe stock is 1 7/8ths.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

I don't think/remember of anyone actually having data to support any "superior" size when it comes to velocity of backpressure. As far as the K8 engine, I'm not sure you'd want to go any bigger than stock. I thought I crawled under my 93 GS to measure the piping awhile back and I *thought* it was 2", but I could be wrong. I doubt it's bigger than that also.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I believe the original exhaust is 1.75"

I installed a custom 2.5" cat-back system today.
Works like a charm. The "dead" spots was gone, and it pulled very good. The sound was awesome too :)

(they only had 2" or 2.5" piping, had they had 2.25" I`d probably wouldve used that)

nope-mx3

I found out today that I gotta get one or two mufflers between the cat and the endbox.
The soundlevel between 2100 and 2700rpm is just too f.... high. below 2000 and above 3000 it`s just sweet.

<small>[ April 17, 2004, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: nope-mx3 ]</small>
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Answer

<small>[ April 16, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Talon_66 ]</small>
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”