Standard brakes in Mx-3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valdigre

Standard brakes in Mx-3

Post by valdigre »

I have this question about standard (crappy) Mx-3 brakes. I know that most of the braking power is on the front side, but I was wondering if it is normal for the rear pads to use about 60 % of the rotors' surface. What i mean is that front rotors are all polished, but the rear ones are polished in about 60% (center part) meaning that either this is normal or my breaking pads suck...
What is your opinion about this?
What braking pads do you recommend?
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Standard brakes in Mx-3

Post by IanL »

Its normal. The rear pads are deliberately small, to ensure that most of the braking is done by the front.

My brakes are excellent - maybe you should try bleeding yours'?

<small>[ April 12, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

what do you mean by "bleeding"?
I mean I have always heard that Mx-3 brakes are pour, and I feel that they are not as sharp as they could be...I have changed the front pads 3 weeks ago but they just don't feel to good. Braking from 120 mph (200 km) or from much smaller speeds just doesn't feel confident. I have also noticed, that when i brake from higher speeds my steering wheel seems to vibrate quite much.
Will changing only the braking pads improve the braking process?
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The shaking is that you need new front rotors. You also need to bleed your brakes, or another term is to flush the fluid out.

If you have cheap pads and havent bleed your brakes ina million years of course stopping from 120mph feels like crap. Put a good set of pads up front and it will be a world of difference.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

If you want a sharp brake pedal feel, you need to change your brake lines from rubber to braided stainless. Have fun

<small>[ April 12, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

My brakes are excellent, i don't know what you are talking about.

If you properly maintain your car, then yours will be too.

Thinks of absolute neccessity to check/replace/maintain:

1: The brake booster hose. It has a check valve built into it that ensures vaccuum is going to it even at very high RPM's and when the car isn't running. if this has a pinhole leak, you will feel greatly increased pedal effort and/or squishy vaugeness in the pedal.

2: The calipers. Since MX3's are 10 year old cars, you have to make sure your calipers are doing their job. Make sure the "adjusters" that allow them to slide back and forth do in fact move freely. If they are frozen, your pads will wear unevenly and not be nearly as effective as they could be. This is one proble that was on my Protege (same exact front calipers as MX3), and after I replaced the caliper I was amazed at the difference in braking

3: pads...using OEM replacements from autozone for $10 isn't going to cut it. Not only are they usually crappy fitment, they produce obscene amounts of dust, and aren't as effective as OEM mazda pads in many cases. Performance pads are the single-most BEST way to increase your braking power, but will also wear your rotors faster

4: rotors....use GOOD quality rotors. Buying generic garbage off ebay will screw you in the long run. the types of alloys the rotor is made of MATTERS A LOT. Brembo rotors are excellent. I've never seen anyone complain of them "warping" with use on an OEM braking system. If your stock rotors are worn down, or cause a shudder, either get then turned (resurfaced) or just replace them with some good quality rotors.

5: Brakelines....Make sure they are in good shape and aren't cracked. Stainless steel lines will make your pedal feel great, but won't really help with braking performance on a stock brake system. Check your rubber lines often for damage, or stress, and replace them as needed.

6: Bleed the system! make sure there is no air or water in the lines, otherwise your calipers won't perform as they are supposed to.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you probably need to change brakes, resurface rotors, it might feel spongy, shaking, etc
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Sorry to steal the topic, but is it nessacary to bleed brakes when you check front brakes? According to my chilton manual I need to bleed each wheel when I check the brakes. I'm expecting to anyhow, because although my car only has 68,000 miles on it, the previous owner severly neglected the braking system... :mad: :rant2:

Also, I believe that no matter what how well you mantain your braking system, the pedal is going to feel "mushy" with OEM rubber hoses...not that this causes lost proformance, but some people don't like that feeling. That was the only thing I meant by my first post...
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by MX3-Freak:
[QB] ...Also, I believe that no matter what how well you mantain your braking system, the pedal is going to feel "mushy" with OEM rubber hoses.../QB]
I have OEM rubber hoses and no mushyness - but I have no air in my brake lines.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
DamoV6UK
Location: The little known village of Mortimer near Reading in sunshine drenched England

Post by DamoV6UK »

Hello all

Just found this thread searchin for info on my brakes. Stripped my front brakes yesterday to find inside pads not worn evenly. they dont contact disc/rotor fully on inside.

there is a plate between caliper and pad on outer side of disc but not inner side. should there be one on both? look at chilton 9-7 fig17 as not sure explained v well!!

Thanks

Damo
MX3 V6 - Modified to include lots of bits such as a Poppy Coral air freshener...
If you see a red MX shattering the tranquility of the Berkshire countryside... Give us a wave!!
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I would guess your caliper is either sticking or you have worn guide pins. The thin metal plate is to cut down on noise and shouldn't effect pad wear.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

Macen

Post by Macen »

I'm going to change brake fluid. But the problem is that I don't know what fluid to use. I take my car to the race track 2-3 times a year. Will standard brake fluid be fine, or do I need a better one?

Also got a question about brake pads. Will it be a good idea to get Green or Red Stuff pads instead of OEM pads? Is it worth it, or do I need to change rotors and calipers also to get better breaking?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Go with green stuff or hawk hp+ pads. I use valvoline synthetic brake fluid. It doesn't have the highest boiling point out there but it's available every where and is cheap.

rdawg000

Post by rdawg000 »

man i have stock brakes on my mx and i have 18s on it and my brakes work awesome
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by valdigre:
Braking from 120 mph (200 km) or from much smaller speeds just doesn't feel confident.
Not many cars feel to confident slowing down at 120mph infact when ive gotten up to speeds like that i let the engine slow me down then ill use my brakes.

And you can by ceramic brake pads at autozone for the mx3. They work better than organic or metalic. i wouldnt expect buying the 16 dollar brake pads (not saying you did) from autozone to be that great.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”