Need Help!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MINNMX3

Need Help!!

Post by MINNMX3 »

Hi,
I will get right to it, I own a MX3 with a 1.8 V6. I went out this morning to start it and nothing happened. It would turn over but I have no spark. I removed and checked the rotor and cap, all looked good but I still have nothing. Where exactly is the coil in this car? I don't have a manual for it and had no service lights come on when I last drove it. Any ideas as I am out of answers for what it could be. Thanks MINNMX3
TsiMiata

Re: Need Help!!

Post by TsiMiata »

The distributors on these cars are notorius for failing, usually somewhere around 100k miles. Mine died doing 80 in the fast lane during rush hour. Thats my first thought. Napa sells them for ~$160.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
MINNMX3

Post by MINNMX3 »

Hey thanks. Are these distributors the same as any other Mazda V6 engines? Where is the best place to get wires for these engines? They want 125.00 from my auto parts store in town.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Yup, i'm on my 4th distributor in 7 months. The ignitor uses a small wire that carries about 3 amps of current. When the car heats up, this wire can, over time, "blow" like a fuse completely stranding you.

Happened to me the first time after I "showed my buddy" the power of my 2.5. I was buzzing around to redline a couple times around the block and then on my way back from his house on the highway, the car suddenly stopped running.

I bought a "remanufactured" disty from autozone for like $160 and have returned it twice so far to get a replacement.

I am in the process of getting all of the parts to completely bypass the stock ignitor, and to mount up an external coil. i'm going to do a write up for you guys when I'm done (maybe as early as this weekend if i get around to it). I spent about $60 for the coil and $20 for the aftermarket ignitor.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

This will help everyone out greatly. Mods should make it a sticky just like they did on Probetalk. Make your own Ignitor... Hope this helps. :2thumbsup:
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
MINNMX3

Post by MINNMX3 »

Hi Guys,
Well I went and bought a rebuilt distributor and I still have no spark. I am just not having good luck with this damn thing. What else other than the engine computer could cause a no spark situation. The timing belt is ok and the cap and rotor are good. I can't even find a repair manual for this damn car. Seems like the MX3 is some kind of a ghost, espcially when it is a V6. My neighbor let me use his manual but it is a chiltons and isn't worth a ****. Help if you can. MINNMX3
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Go to the next step and check the spark plug cables and the plugs next.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I highly doubt all 6 wires went bad at the same time. It should run with even 5 of 6 wires.

If you're not getting spark, I'd check to make sure your distributor is getting its base voltage from your electrical system in the first place.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Yeah, i'm basing my install off that probetalk thread. But i'm also wiring up an external MSD ignition coil while I'm at it. I'll post a new thread when I get around to it all :)
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

Gro, how do you know if the disty is working poorly. My remanufactured one failed once, now this one has been installed for about a month, but the car keeps misfiring sometimes... Got new plugs and wires, and o2 sensors. Iam about to go return the disty again and get another one.
Any ideas?
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
MINNMX3

Post by MINNMX3 »

Do you guys know where I can get a service manual for my MX3 GS so I know where and how much voltage should be at the connectors.
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Ya I only have a chilton(even THIS was extremely hard to find) if anyone knows where to get a better manual that would be great.
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”