Coolant leak

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Skullknight

Coolant leak

Post by Skullknight »

I have a coolant leak somewhere under part of the airbox. The coolant overflow resevoir has a tube that goes under the part of the airbox to another part that has a cap like the radiator cap one the left side of the engine, but this cap is under the front part of the airbox where I cant get to it. I dont know exactly where it is leaking from, but I will find out when I take the airbox out to put in my CAI. Any suggestions on how to fix the leak? If its jsut a tube, I can replace it, but what is the best way to patch up a crack if there is one?
lakersfan1

Re: Coolant leak

Post by lakersfan1 »

My lower radiator cap was a little touchy and came undone when I took the front part of the intake off a couple times and I lost all my radiator fluid out of it.

Just get a 10mm socket and take the three bolts holding the front intake on - the two over the radiator and the one attached to the resonance tube, and take it off. Then make sure the lower radiator cap is on tight. Then refil the coolant system with water and drive. See if it's fixed. If not, then it very well may be a hose or a hose clamp, which will take more time to find.
Skullknight

Post by Skullknight »

Hmm, the leak has stopped. Or atleast I dont see it leaking anymore. I dont think it all leaked out becuase my car never overheats and I drive it pretty hard. I will check it out as soon as my cai arrives.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Well, you don't want to check the coolant from that side of the engine anyways. That side is lower than the passenger side, so if the passenger side is higher, it will all spill out the driver's side cap. You'll want to check the fluid from the radiator cap on the passenger side when the car is cold. Make sure it is topped off there.
Skullknight

Post by Skullknight »

Okay, it is leaking again. I checked the passenger side and refilled it, it didnt take much to top it off. So thats good. I removed part of the air box so I could get a better look at the part where it is leaking from and it looks like it is inbetween two parts just under the cap on the drivers side, hopefully I can just tighten them and it will be good. If not, I will try to get some pictures to post, so you guys can help me out.
Skullknight

Post by Skullknight »

Okay, I installed my PRM intake today and I had a hell of a time. I really dont know much about cars. It took me three hours, mostly trying to find the right size tools and trying to figure out how to use the brackets in the kit to mount it. The instructions say to put the bracket on the clamp by the down pipe, not by the MAF, but there is no place to bolt it onto the car. Annoying. So I tried to find pictures on the net to see if I could figure out how other people did it, finally got it. So its in there, and I think its all good, the car starts. But I have a few questions for you guys:

The vacuum hose wasnt attached to my airbox, it looks like it broke off a while ago. Could not having it attached affect anything?

The other wires on the side of the airbox, where the vacuum hose was supposed to be attached, what do I do with those? Where can I mount them? (they were attached to the side of the box.)

Also, since I took the front part of the airbox out and (the part that goes above the radiator) it wont fit back in because the overflow resevoir is in the way, so now I dont have that little piece to place the hood stand in when its closed. What can I do about that?

Oh, its still leaking coolant, I know where its coming from, looks like I will have to take it to a mechanic to get it fixed.

<small>[ March 25, 2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Skullknight ]</small>
Skullknight

Post by Skullknight »

Also, I noticed there is an air duct or something in the well where the pipe for the intake goes. It looks like it draws in air from under the car and it goes to the battery. Does the battery need cool air? Can I redirect that for my intake?
Skullknight

Post by Skullknight »

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”