!HELP! - OBX SS V6 probe headers install on a mx-3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Postman2K

!HELP! - OBX SS V6 probe headers install on a mx-3

Post by Postman2K »

please help. need more info on the install. who has installed them on their mx-3, will i need to take it to a performance shop or can i take it to any shop, like "Speedy Muffler"? can anyone give detailed instructions, maybe post some pics already installed on the car (under belly of car). so i can get a visualisation of the whole install, thanks
2007 Mazda3 GT Hatchback (Phantom Blue Mica) - DAILY DRIVER
2004 Mazda3 GT Hatchback (Passion Lava Orange) - FOR SALE
1994 Mazda Mx-3 GS (Laguna Blue) - RETIRED/JUNKED
1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS (Dark blue) - SOLD
Talon_66

Re: !HELP! - OBX SS V6 probe headers install on a mx-3

Post by Talon_66 »

From what I hear u will have to move your cat back a bit.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
1quikmx3

Post by 1quikmx3 »

I put the headers on mysely in about a day. there were 2 things wrong with them:1) the o2 sensor on the front header hits the clutch line, a new bung had to be welded in. 2) there is no way the egr will bolt up so that had to be pluged. 0 ya and there was one more problem, the trans crossmember had to be cut so the rear header would bolt into place.
If you are going to bring these to a shop to get done it will cost a lot of money! I would do it yourself, because the rad has to come out and there is a lot of work to make these fit.
but good luck.
they sound great.
H&R springs ZX2 struts short shifter 17"s OBX headers flowmaster just waiting for klze time
cozmo959

Post by cozmo959 »

i had them proffessionaly done my my ZE....i tried to install them my self but nothing fit right like its supposed to. the shop had to bend down the front header and the rear header and remake the "Y" pipe. it really wasnt worth it. i bout those headers for 150 and spent 600 to install those FU***** things.
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I still haven't put mine on yet. I bought them from someone on this board. I have had them sitting in the garage all winter.

Here is what I said to seller, and I quote:
"Will these bolt right up to the stock exhaust system, or will there need to be custom work done to get them to fit?"

Here is sellers response on how these headers will fit.

"Hi, yes they fit perfectly, they are totally brand new made for the mx3 V6,
KL08 or KLZE (Also fit on Probe and MX6 V6)"

My response after that:

"OK, Ill take em, on the condition that they will not have to be cut/welded to fit on a 92 mx3"

Since some of you people had to customize the headers to get them to fit I guess I was given incorrect information, whether intentionally or not? So I of course will be ticked when I have to cut and weld, bend ect.. to get them to bolt up.

<small>[ March 12, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: timpronk ]</small>
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Postman2K

Post by Postman2K »

Originally posted by 1quikmx3:
I put the headers on mysely in about a day. there were 2 things wrong with them:1) the o2 sensor on the front header hits the clutch line, a new bung had to be welded in. 2) there is no way the egr will bolt up so that had to be pluged. 0 ya and there was one more problem, the trans crossmember had to be cut so the rear header would bolt into place.
If you are going to bring these to a shop to get done it will cost a lot of money! I would do it yourself, because the rad has to come out and there is a lot of work to make these fit.
but good luck.
they sound great.
nothing time and money cant do. but can u do me a huge favour, could u take some pics for me, like from under the car and possible the front header, thanks that would great.
2007 Mazda3 GT Hatchback (Phantom Blue Mica) - DAILY DRIVER
2004 Mazda3 GT Hatchback (Passion Lava Orange) - FOR SALE
1994 Mazda Mx-3 GS (Laguna Blue) - RETIRED/JUNKED
1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS (Dark blue) - SOLD
Qalex

Post by Qalex »

ok i have read a ton on these headers and so i went ahead and bought the hotshot headers so now people are saying that there not going to bolt on without cutting the crossmeber on the tranny? i have a 93 gs and the shop is getting the headers tommorrow and will finish droppin the motor and radiator once the headers are on should i warn them of anything or will it be simple since the motor and rad arent in yet?
klze, ze ecu, hotshot headers,2.5 exhaust, custom cai, plugs, wires,intrax lowering springs, crossdrilled rotors,eclipse deck with in dash 6 disc, 2 12inch jlw3, u.s. amp vlx25, and fosgate door speakers
Qalex

Post by Qalex »

heres the scoop folks, on my 93 gs with the ze swap the hotshot headers bolt up beautifully no cutting,welding removing crossbraces or anything except for moving back the cat. it was almost as easy as changing a battery as long as the radiotor is not in yet. sounds great too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
klze, ze ecu, hotshot headers,2.5 exhaust, custom cai, plugs, wires,intrax lowering springs, crossdrilled rotors,eclipse deck with in dash 6 disc, 2 12inch jlw3, u.s. amp vlx25, and fosgate door speakers
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

sounds good 3xm adzam 93 keep us updated.

the weird thing about obx headers were that obviously first of all they coppied pace****ters. second was some of them fit perfectly while others look like they were welded by a blind man. with obx headers it was luck of the draw, if they fit you are one lucky moe foe, if not plan on an investment.

good news is that the pace****ter copies are of no more and newer versions of ebay headers, as i call em, are finally available. they are designed like hotshots with a flexpipe and all. hopefully, these will fit well. maybe somneone would like to try them. notice, how they have a picture with it actually on the car, and it says FITS now thats comedy. lets hope they do.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Originally posted by 3xm adzam 93:
heres the scoop folks, on my 93 gs with the ze swap the hotshot headers bolt up beautifully no cutting,welding removing crossbraces or anything except for moving back the cat. it was almost as easy as changing a battery as long as the radiotor is not in yet. sounds great too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How far are you pushing the cat back? Did you "push" it back with arm? or did you have to cut and reweld it?
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Qalex

Post by Qalex »

i actually took the cat out cause we have no emissions out here and all i had to do to connect the headers to the exhaust was cut and weld in a 10inch piece maybe cost me 20-30$
Qalex

Post by Qalex »

i dont know if i am crazy but thats almost exactly how they fit on my 93 x3 , i will try to get pictures under and above the motor. also i dont have emissions so i plugged the egr bung by cutting it, pinching and then welding the little adapter shut.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”