ECU PROBS!! DISTRIBUTOR PROBS!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cozmo959

ECU PROBS!! DISTRIBUTOR PROBS!!

Post by cozmo959 »

i have a kl36 ecu for my klze and the check engine light doesnt come on when its supposed to. it doesnt even come on when i just turn the ignition on when all the other dash lights come on. i checked the bulb and the connection. when i put my K8 ecu in the check engine light goes on. does this mean the my ecu is screwed up therfore sending wrong signals to my engine.

for the distributor i have a klze distributor with the msd SCI ignition box and blaster 3 coil. everything seems to work fine but its making a ticking sound like sparks are jumping or something like that. and if i set it to the right timing 10 degrees BTDC my engine bogs and backfires. PLEASE HELP!!
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: ECU PROBS!! DISTRIBUTOR PROBS!!

Post by IanL »

Check the KLZE ECU connector pin 1F for damage. Maybe it isn't making good contact with the harness. If that's the only problem, it should not affect the control functions.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
cozmo959

Post by cozmo959 »

do happen to have a pin diagram of the ecu and harness? thanks
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

in japan cars do not have cels, sooooo in america your cel is not turned on when you run your kl36 ecu, if you want to check your codes I have posted ways to do this at least a dozen times if you need more help then let me know
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
cozmo959

Post by cozmo959 »

thanks lazzyie
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

According to the circuit diagram in Chilterns, the cable which feeds the CEL also splits off to the diag box for monitoring the codes. If that's right, the CEL can be made to operate from the ECU when it flashes diag codes, but they may have disabled the 3 second flash in the KLZE ECU when the ignition is turned on. And maybe they haven't.

However, in N American 2.5 litre cars, the cable is connected to ECU terminals 1E and 1F. In the MX-3 it is only connected to 1F (1E is not used). So (just) maybe you can get the CEL to work by connecting 1E and 1F together. You can check whether it will work by running a wire to 1E, and reading the voltage between it and ground when the ignition is turned on. It should show below 2.5 Volts for 3 sec. and then Battery Volts (above 12).

If you think that sounds odd, it isn't, because the other side of the CEL is at battery volts when the ignition is on.

If you want the pin diagram for the ECU, PM me your email and I'll send you a scan.

<small>[ February 26, 2004, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Did you have your car running good after swapping the ignition system?

If it never ran correctly since the ignition swap, maybe start by checking that it is installed correctly.

Could be a fualty spark plug wire, or if its running really bad, maybe the wrong spark plug wire on the wrong terminal.

Just my thoughts.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

Since i have been emailed:

If you have a kl31/36 ecu or even a kf15 or k808 ecu you can pull codes by:

paper clip or wire between ten/gnd in the diag box

12 volt non-flashing led($3) between fen(neg)/b+(pos) and turn the car to on

it flashes just like your cel would works on american ecus too....
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”