weird problems with starting moving

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx-3xplosiv31

weird problems with starting moving

Post by mx-3xplosiv31 »

ok, I just read through about 100 different old posts looking for an answer, but couldn't find one. When I start moving, either forward or reverse, once I am past half out on the clutch, the car starts jumping like I am popping it in and out, and wanting to stall. It does this no matter what gear, up to about 25, unless I launch at like 5,000rpm, which is definitely not good on the clutch. also, when I am coming to a stop, the car dies when I put in the clutch OR just put it in neutral, brake depressed and not depressed, just won't idle. Could the two be linked, and if so, what could be the problem. I just got the car, and other than that I love it, but its not drivable like this. Please help me, I am out of answers.

Aaron
MX3ze@7psi

Re: weird problems with starting moving

Post by MX3ze@7psi »

It could be the TPS sensor (throttle postion sensor). Thats what happened to my car when my TPS sensor went bad. Every time I step on the clutch or go to nuetral it dies. I got it replaced and it went back to normal. just to warn you if it is your TPS sensor its going to cost you around $150 for a small little sensor unless there's someone out there who has one that they would sell for cheaper than that. I bought mine from an local auto shop
MX3 KL-DE, probe/mx6 ebay turbo pipes, T3/T4 50 trim @ 8psi, millenia injectors, SAFC2, intercooled,Greddy RS BOV, turbonetic 38mm external wastegate. Wisco 9.5 forged piston, millenia S rods, and high performance rings coiming in soon. Shooting for 400whp this summer.
mx-3xplosiv31

Post by mx-3xplosiv31 »

but would that explain the jumping from the still position too? like I said, its almost like when someone is learning to drive a manual, and they get the rabbit hop going.

Aaron
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

It could. Imagine the engine being told the throttle is open, closed, open, closed.....even though you were keeping it still. The ECU would be adjusting the mixture and timing instead of keeping it constant, and the revs are low-ish, so the flywheel isn't all that capable of smoothing things out. Not saying it is the cause, but you can't dismiss it.

You can check it with a voltmeter - remove the connector and connect the meter to the sensor between the second pin from the top (Vt) and the bottom pin (GROUND). Engine off, ignition on. Rotate the throttle link; closed it should read 0.1 to 1.1 V, fully open 3.1 to 4.4. Check it increases reasonably smoothly. If it jumps as you rotate, replace it.

<small>[ February 17, 2004, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
andy

Post by andy »

Sounds like a crack in the ribbed section of intake. Examine the plastic ribbed section just before the throttle body. Your looking for a hairline crack. It helps if you take the intake off and flex it will looking. If you find a crack you can temporarily tape it up with duct tape. wrap it around many times and you should be good to go.
Andy P. 93 GS
mx-3xplosiv31

Post by mx-3xplosiv31 »

thanks guys. I am so glad I found this site. I bought the car yesterday for $850 U.S.D., and I think if I can get this figured out, it will be a sweet little ride. I had a 98 Cavalier before this, so the performance jump is tremendous for me. You all should be hearing a lot mor from me as I get deeper into my tuning madness

Aaron
mx-3xplosiv31

Post by mx-3xplosiv31 »

got it fixed. it was a HUGE crack in the intake tube. Can't believe I missed that, but it runs fine now. Thank you again to all who replied.

Aaron

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”