Different distributor types??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lakersfan1

Different distributor types??

Post by lakersfan1 »

I just started calling for distrubutor prices. First off - WTF!?!?!? I'm getting quote up to $400 U.S. Are they F'ing serious? Second, everyone seems to be asking if I want a small rotor type or a large rotor type. Is there a difference? Because it looks like the large rotor type is not only more expensive, but also would be a few days wait. I need to have my car working NOW. The busses out here don't start early enough in the morning for me to get to work in time.

<small>[ January 27, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
curtklze

Re: Different distributor types??

Post by curtklze »

the early distys 91-93 and a half use one type and the 94-96 use another.

my cost on a 95 disty from the dealer was $650 CDN and it was a deal. thats whay I was trying to find a used one :) . use ones around here go for about $250.00 CDN to $350.00 CDN. and rebuilts go for 400-500 CDN.

I found a disty from a ZE for $45.00 USD on ebay (thanks Groharlem :) )

Good luck.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by curtklze:
[QB]the early distys 91-93 and a half use one type and the 94-96 use another.

[QB]
Do you know which uses which? My car was made in late 92, so I'm sure it'd be considered an early 93 model.

Thanks! :2thumbsup:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I found a remanu for $150 at Autozone. Leary about remanu, but Autozone has a lifetime warranty on it, so you can't beat that..... warrantied forever.

Anyways, I bought the small since that's all anyone had in stock. I hope that's the one, or I'm screwed. :(
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Thanks Curt. I can't believe it, but I actually got it up and running in about an hour working with limited tools in my work's parking lot.

I figured out what made it break. I found out I'm getting a quarterly bonus check tomorrow. The distributer, cap, and rotor ran about $180. My bonus will be $180.

Last time I got a bonus, it was $180. My radio broke. The cheapest quality headunit I could find with 4 volt outs was ........guess???? $165+$15 shipping.

I asked my boss if they could stop giving me bonuses, because it's just making alot of work for me. It's bad karma.
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

i hope that small rotor one holds out for you cause i went through 3 of those ****ers in 3 weeks with my 92gs. it wasnt until i got a large rotor from the recyclers that they stoped blowing.
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS
New Time 13.82 at 101.75 2.205 60ft (RIP beast klze engine)

Updated mods now... KFZE, SS Autochrome Headers and a Sweet a-- 3' Electric Cutout after it, KFZE LSD trans, Millenia manifold, KL36 ecu, Blown motor mounts, custom CAI, Custom ground wire kit, 9mm Plug wires, 2 1/4 exhaust, (Hei and MSD external coil mod), all accessories.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by stang67fb:
i hope that small rotor one holds out for you cause i went through 3 of those ****ers in 3 weeks with my 92gs. it wasnt until i got a large rotor from the recyclers that they stoped blowing.
Now you tell me???

Oh well. If it goes, the stipulation of the warranty says I can get a replacement, or return if it breaks, so I can always get a refund and roll it into the larger rotor.

So if I do end up having to get the large rotor kind, I'm assuming I'd have to get a new rotor too?? Then, will the same distributor cap work, or would I need to replace that too?
Taras

Post by Taras »

I wish I would not be too lazy to go and look at my car. Buy this is what I remember. It is the igniter that goes on the distys. The older ones that go should have K08 or K01 on the silver sticker. The upgraded ones have KLY on them. I remember the "Y" thing for sure. Mine went on me, so I got the new one from Mazda for 94 Mx-6. Funny thing is that Mazda quoted me $950.00 Cad$ for the Mx-3 one, but only $600.00 Cad$ for Mx-6. Apparently the difference is in part numbers. So I went for, naturally, the cheaper one. But, I had to pre-order it and pre-pay it in full without any chance of taking it back to them if it did not fit. 20 minutes later and car purred like new. Just another thing that I had to prove to my local Mazda dealer that they did not know. Just like they told me that 2.5 will not fit. ;)
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

as i remember i had to get the cap and rotor too which btw was very expensive at 30$ for the rotor and 35 for the cap. so im guessing that the large rotor one is the same or more.
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS
New Time 13.82 at 101.75 2.205 60ft (RIP beast klze engine)

Updated mods now... KFZE, SS Autochrome Headers and a Sweet a-- 3' Electric Cutout after it, KFZE LSD trans, Millenia manifold, KL36 ecu, Blown motor mounts, custom CAI, Custom ground wire kit, 9mm Plug wires, 2 1/4 exhaust, (Hei and MSD external coil mod), all accessories.
bikeguy18974

Post by bikeguy18974 »

Not that it will matter much to you now; but on your old distributor did you have the black and silver sticker still on it. Look at the part #'s.

Then go to the autozone web site and look up distys for the car. It will show the large and small rotor types with different #'s. One will match exactly.

My 93 was the small rotor. I haven't had any trouble for months. With the rebuilt ones you have to get lucky. Some will go in days or be bad from the start others will rarely ever need that lifetime warranty.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I know my old one was a Mistubishi that said KL01.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”