Cold Weather Problem, (HUGE)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valoncan

Cold Weather Problem, (HUGE)

Post by valoncan »

Been having this problem for a while now, MY mx3 GS, wont start in the morning. I mean in the cold weather.
Once it starts, whether I jump start it or bring it to a hot garage, it will run perfectly.
I had a new distributor, new ignition cables put in it, new battery, injector lines flushed and cleaned up.
It cranks, it wants to start and then it just doesn;t, it is also not flodded, since three mechanics checked it today. Like when i cranck it, it feels like it is gonna start but it just doesn;t, if i have it pushed just a bit and jump start it, boom it will start right away, and once it starts, I shut it off right away, and try it with the key, it works just fine.

Please help guys, am in a big stress!!!!!
Never think that you will get two if you don't give one!!
curtklze

Re: Cold Weather Problem, (HUGE)

Post by curtklze »

try turning the key on then off about 3 times befor you crank to try to build up fuel pressure.

it it starts ok after that then its a fuel pressure problem.

Also, I cant remeber which one but, when you are starting the ECU looks for the Crank shaft Posistion to sync up the fuel injection and timming only for starting, but if the Crank sensor is not sending a signal when cold, it may not start, once the car is running it uses the Camshaft sensor (in the disty) to run.

or it may be the other way around. but its somthing to consider, maybe see what you mechanic thinks .tell him to read the shop manuel about theroy and opperation of the sensors to see if Im right.

<small>[ January 27, 2004, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: curtklze ]</small>
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Wow, it seems everyone in Canada is having car starting problems, I had to leave my car at work today because it got super cold during the day.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
seneca

Post by seneca »

lol,
me too at the gf's
lol
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
back alley

Post by back alley »

my car starts fine in the cold here in edmonton, but i have another problem - my power steering seems to be frozen. the steering is so stiff i can barely make a turn.the worst part is i can't check under the hood because it won't open. i don't know if the cable broke because of the cold or if the hood is just frozen shut.
there is no leak under the car so i assume the power steering fluid is still in there.
any ideas?
i've never had the power steering freeze in any car before.
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

I came to work today, and my car ran fine, it started and it stoped, and i got to work @ 1 and now it is 5 o clock, and i went to start it:
first cranck it started and it shut off right away,
second crank did not even start, and then after a little while it started once again, but it shut off.
Now, as i mentioned I've replaced my distributor, this is a brand new distributor, am just wondering could the distributor be the cause??

Please let me know!!!!!!
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Hey, I know what the problem is, I just got out of the shop

The reason it won't roll over after cold weather is beacuse the Coolant sensor is fouled out. Also check your o2 sensors too if you have "stumbling" at low RPMS.

But the answer is your Coolant sensor (also check your distributor and sparks).
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

what u mean roll over? like u mean crank but not start right?,
and where is that sensor located, cus other than that everything else is good in my car!!
Thank you
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Basically my problem was two-fold:

Very cold mornings...after my car had been sitting awhile, it would just "sound like" it was going to start...just roll and roll..but never roll over to idle.

The reason why, was because my o2 sensors were fouled out...giving way too much gas and coating my plugs...dripping with caked gas...had to blow torch it off. That was also the reason why my car stumbling / struggled/ sputtered (take your pick) at low RPMs X > 2000rpms.

The second reason was because the coolant sensor was fouled out as well. The location of the sensor, you'd have to consult with someone else. I'm fairly new with my engine and don't think I could be accurate enough to help.

But I had hat problem before and I changed wires and plugs and my disty to no avail. Once I cleaned off my plugs and fuel pump filter, it started....(but it was also warmer).

But I do believe it's your coolant sensor.

~CHANKO=D
DJ

Post by DJ »

How much was it to replace your o2 sensor?
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

hey thanks a lot chonco.
I think that's what it is and am gonna have that replaced as soon as possible.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Originally posted by Talon_66:
Wow, it seems everyone in Canada is having car starting problems, I had to leave my car at work today because it got super cold during the day.
My car is also recently having a weird idle problem when the car is warming up in the morning, check the thread:

http://www.mx-3.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003091
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Bosch o2 sensor can be bought for 63.00 USD for a pair.

And my name is CHANKO
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

MY not start in the cold weather problem was the distributor. Well, that's what mazda diagnosed, i mean i had to bring the car there no matter what, and they've told me that it is the brand new distributor that i have put in, they said that it's acting up, not neccessarily on the cold weather, but anyways, i had warranty in it, so now it's in the process of getting a new one, and see where we are.

But i thank everyone's reply as in regard to that.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”