Timing belt replacement

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lakersfan1

Timing belt replacement

Post by lakersfan1 »

I was looking for a new timing belt since my car is approaching 100K miles soon. Came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33625&item=2452553316

Should I be replacing all these parts included in this kit as well? I didn't know if these typically go bad in our cars by the first timing belt change, or is it something that I can probably wait until the 200K mile timing belt change to worry about if it's not giving me any trouble?

Then, while I'm in the engine, I was going to replace the friction gear spring and also possibly replace any HLA's. Can you just replace the HLA's on the head fairly easily? Or is it overly complicated and it'd just be easier to buy a new head?
quicksliver

Re: Timing belt replacement

Post by quicksliver »

Ummm you're supposed to change you're timing belt every 100,000km (62,000 miles). Thanks for coming out though lol

<small>[ January 05, 2004, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Quick Sliver ]</small>
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
I was looking for a new timing belt since my car is approaching 100K miles soon. Came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33625&item=2452553316

Should I be replacing all these parts included in this kit as well? I didn't know if these typically go bad in our cars by the first timing belt change, or is it something that I can probably wait until the 200K mile timing belt change to worry about if it's not giving me any trouble?

Then, while I'm in the engine, I was going to replace the friction gear spring and also possibly replace any HLA's. Can you just replace the HLA's on the head fairly easily? Or is it overly complicated and it'd just be easier to buy a new head?
This is a great kit, its recommend to change that stuff when your in there, especially the tensioner. If you plan on your engine making it to 200k I would do it at 100k and change the waterpump while your in there. I don't know how your going to tell if the HLA's are bad or not, I guess they would have to be totally collapse. You can pull them out with a little magnet after you remove the cams. New ones are like $24 a piece from the dealer. If you get a set of rebuilt heads they aren't going to include HLA's.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Quick Sliver:
Ummm you're supposed to change you're timing belt every 100,000km (62,000 miles). Thanks for coming out though lol
Most Mazdas, I've seen recommendations of every 60K miles, and every 100K miles depending on which mechanic you talk to. Being that the K8 is non-interference, I figured I'd go with the high number. :) But if it's 60K miles recommended, maybe I'll email the previous owner and see if she did it already. She did most of the recommended services.

Anyways, my 2.0 626 is at 60K miles, and I'm much more worried about that engine. Maybe I'll do the 626's this weekend if my brother-in-law wants to show me how while we're replacing the half-shaft. :shrug:
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Is it just me or does that price seem a little high on the auction.

When I had it done about 2 years ago the belt was cheaper than that but it was the labour that killed you.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

From what I remember the tensioner is the most expensive part. IIRC $50-70
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
pelado

Post by pelado »

You are an idiot if you do not change the water pump while you're in there.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
tical

Post by tical »

when i bought a few things from corksport, i went ahead and bought a new timing belt for whenever i can get it in there...
93' Mx-3 GS, repainted laguna blue with pearl, 18 inch wheels (white) with Falcon ZE512 ruppers, custom headers with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, ported TB and intake manifold, ACT clutch, and ground-control coil-overs.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
Most Mazdas, I've seen recommendations of every 60K miles, and every 100K miles depending on which mechanic you talk to. Being that the K8 is non-interference, I figured I'd go with the high number. :) But if it's 60K miles recommended, maybe I'll email the previous owner and see if she did it already. She did most of the recommended services....
The Mazda Workshop Manual says 60,000 miles=100,000km. I think that's where the 100,000 comes from.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

OK. I figured it out. For California vehicles, it's 105,000 miles. I have no idea why. Maybe that was part of California emmissions, putting on a stonger timing belt, so there would be no stretch, and the fuel efficiency would stay? I don't know :p

BTW, I got this kit Saturday and it looks great.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I've often wondered about the difference in servicing intervals for California. Call me a cynic, but I don't think there's any difference in the cars - maybe the California legislators laid down some criteria, so Mazda said, fine, for California its less often ;)
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by IanL:
I've often wondered about the difference in servicing intervals for California. Call me a cynic, but I don't think there's any difference in the cars - maybe the California legislators laid down some criteria, so Mazda said, fine, for California its less often ;)
In the early 90's alot of cars actually did have alot different with them beacause at the time California emissions standards were so different. It was enough that there was usually a U.S. horsepower rating, then a lower California horsepower rating because they had to add so much extra emissions crap to them. I just didn't think anything about the timing belts being different.

But I haven't seen a California horsepower rating in quite a few years. I think the regular U.S. standards have finally caught up with California. :shrug:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”