Is this a big deal?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93-Spec-Edn

Is this a big deal?

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

When I start my gs is puffs out blue smoke sometimes for up to 5 seconds. Does the motor have much life in it? Will it get worse fast? Is it normal?
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
JdawgMx3er

Re: Is this a big deal?

Post by JdawgMx3er »

mine sometimes blows smoke after its running,when I get on it a bit, I think its bad valve seals, oil leaking in and burning, I got 135K on mine,yes it needs rebuilt,with a couple a mods she still moves pretty good, so yours I imagine probably has some life in it,depending on what else is wrong,it'll get worse not necesarily fast,depending on how you drive and if take care of your motor(oil change,filters,
tune ups)and I think its pretty normal with high mile,not well maintained vehicles, and then again I don't always know what I'm talking about...heh... gl with yours
JdawgMx3er

Post by JdawgMx3er »

ahhh just read previously posted post, it'd be sweet if u could get it rebuilt under warranty,how would you even have it still under warranty, mines paid off,no warranty though, oh and the valves tap as well...heh prolly run her till she pops and throw in the ZE I'm gettin what year/mileage is yours
tical

Post by tical »

i bought my mx with 74,000 miles on her. she now has 94,000 miles. ive kept sinthetic oil in it the whole time. the car runs like brand new...
93' Mx-3 GS, repainted laguna blue with pearl, 18 inch wheels (white) with Falcon ZE512 ruppers, custom headers with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, ported TB and intake manifold, ACT clutch, and ground-control coil-overs.
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

I hope its not ticking because its low on oil. anyway I would put some syntetic oil in it and maybe even add one of those teflon high milage additives. There is a good chance it will stop those syntoms you describe

/SIXPACK
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by SIXPACK:
I hope its not ticking because its low on oil. anyway I would put some syntetic oil in it and maybe even add one of those teflon high milage additives. There is a good chance it will stop those syntoms you describe

/SIXPACK
Whilst I agree about worn valve seals, or maybe valve guides, I would suggest that you stay away from teflon additives. They are unlikely to help, and may do harm.

See this link and click Engine Oil Additives.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Originally posted by Ayaz:
When I start my gs is puffs out blue smoke sometimes for up to 5 seconds. Does the motor have much life in it? Will it get worse fast? Is it normal?
Large puffs usually means the rings, but its the valve seals wear out first then the rings, then its eating oil like crazy.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Originally posted by JdawgMx3er:
ahhh just read previously posted post, it'd be sweet if u could get it rebuilt under warranty,how would you even have it still under warranty, mines paid off,no warranty though, oh and the valves tap as well...heh prolly run her till she pops and throw in the ZE I'm gettin what year/mileage is yours
"oh and the valves tap as well..."
It's not you're valves. It's you're right cam shaft friction gear. Cost me $1100cdn after taxes to have that replaced along with a **** load of seals and a few springs.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Since I changed the oil and drove it for 3000km all the problems have gone away. No more smoke and it runs like a dream. weird :)
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”