Exhaust System

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chrid Slight

Exhaust System

Post by Chrid Slight »

Hey all, first time posting here. A few questions..... I have a 96 GS, all stock except a magnaflow muffler, which I think sounds awesome. I am currently pricing out a straight-thru resonator and catalytic convertor, as well as 2.25" to 2.5" piping.

A local shop here carries vibrant resonators. They have a 12" or 18". Any advantage of the 18 over the 12, quieter, etc.?

Will I notice a big difference in loudness, pitch with these new parts? Currently, sound is quite deep and relatively loud until the 3500 Rpm mark. I would not really like it to be too much louder as the whole neighbourhood will start to get p*ssed!

Lastly, any recommendations on the cat? I need one of course that will work with OBDII. I see Magnaflow has one, wondering if there any better ones......

Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.....

talk to ya,
slighty
tical

Re: Exhaust System

Post by tical »

id go with 2 1/4 in. pipe, bigger isnt always better. secondly, the pitch of your car will change for the better, it will get a little deeper but more agressive and clean sounding, horse power gains wont be a hole lot until you go with good headers and cold air intake, but the car will be a blast to drive...

just my two sents

Justin
93' Mx-3 GS, repainted laguna blue with pearl, 18 inch wheels (white) with Falcon ZE512 ruppers, custom headers with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, ported TB and intake manifold, ACT clutch, and ground-control coil-overs.
ZOOMzoomZOOM

Post by ZOOMzoomZOOM »

Experienced 2 1/4" exhaust.

Recently I did some major customes to my exhaust. All in stages to see the differences. I first added a vibrant hi-flo/perf. muffler, on a stock exhaust system. Noticed a huge gain all over the RPM range. Next I removed the resonator, not much diff. Then the cat, noticed again absolutely huge gains. Great overall performance (this was my best stage).

The last step gutted the tubeing and replaced the set with 2 1/4", staight back to the muffler. Believe it or not on the dyno I lost low end power and gained ever so slightly in higher end. This was totally not worth it. The place were it hit me was now that there was virtually no restriction to exhaust flow, it sounded awesome, alothough I lost low end power, but noticed huge dollars flowing through my gas tank, as fuel now flows right majorly unburned as oppesed to before.

I recomend everything up to my last mod, unless your not racing or perfromance enhancing, and purely looking for sound. Cause the dyno proves, the mx-3 needs a little back pressure.

Later,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdamachine
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Back Pressure=Power Loss...
Too lazy to explain, so here:
http://www.mx-3.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=000009
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”