4W ABS Light

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Machelski65

4W ABS Light

Post by Machelski65 »

I need some help. Finally got my GS all put together and been drivin it last few days. Everything is great but the 4W ABS light stays on never goes off. Brakes work fine, ABS doesn't but normal brakes do. This car set in a yard for 4 years before I got it. I am wondering where the ABS computer is located? My cars build date is 10/91. My worry is someone took the computer out while it was in the yard all that time. Also what else to look for check? Thanks guys, A.J.
Machelski65

Re: 4W ABS Light

Post by Machelski65 »

Nobody knows this?
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

The abs module is underneath the battery tray so you have to take that out first. I don't remember seeing any computer there though - all I saw was the abs unit with all the brake pipes going to it and a power supply cable coming from one of the fuse boxes...
pelado

Post by pelado »

My 94 MX-6/626 shop manual shows the ABS control unit is mounted under the dash on the driver's side over near the door/fender.

One thing you might want to do is go to a Mazda dealer and have them read the codes for you.

I believe you can check for codes yourself by grounding between the TBS terminal and GND on the ABS diagnostic connector and then counting the ABS light flashes. Long flashes are tens and short ones are ones. I believe the codes are the same between MX-6 and MX-3.
11 - RF wheel sensor/rotor
12 - LF wheel sensor/rotor
13 - RR wheel sensor/rotor
14 - LR wheel sensor/rotor
15 - Wheel speed sensor
22 - Hydraulic unit harness
51 - Fail safe relay
53 - Motor relay
61 - ABS control unit

I had an ABS light on my 94 626 and it was code 14. Someone had replaced the LR axle with a non-ABS unit (no sensor or rotor).

Hope this helps.

<small>[ December 07, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: pelado ]</small>
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Machelski65

Post by Machelski65 »

Thanks Si and Pelado. I gotta put a new battery in it, so will look at that. Also will check for computer. I might just call the dealer, might get lucky and they'd say that they could test it for free? We'll see but thanks for the info.. A.J.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”