Exhaust recommendations

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
huss

Exhaust recommendations

Post by huss »

hey there..I drive a mx3 precidia 1.8L V6

What kind of exhaust should I put on it? Cat back?
Can anyone tell me when they put on their car please..thanks
bikeguy18974

Re: Exhaust recommendations

Post by bikeguy18974 »

You'll probably get a nice reply to "search" but here's some real quick info.

There a very few places that make a cat back system for our cars. I think mazda speed has one but it will be $$$$$. Pacesetter is the other one I know of: relatively cheap but know to rust quickly (but not in all cases).

From what I've seen people either have the pacesetter or have one custom made.

Post by Guest »

Hey there...

You should use 3 inch piping, no res and no cat. Use a 5zigen fireball muffler. That will sound awesome. Will make your car sound like a bike. I heard a celica gts with this setup and man did it sound sick. Not sure if it will sound exactly the same on the mx so get other peeps opinion as well
thanks
dkrangers

Post by dkrangers »

I have KLZE with a stock exhaust and a reactive rear section on. I want to get rid of the cat and get larger piping but everyone has liked the exhaust, sound and looks! Thats my two cents
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

3 inch piping :eek: :eek: Thats MASSIVELY BIG Use 2inch for the 1.8, 2.25 if you forsee a KLZE in the future with the muffler of your choice. Done
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

3" is way to big. It will be stupid loud also. I run a 2 3/4" exhaust on my talon and that car runs low 13's. For a 1.8 2 or 2 1/4 will be just fine.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
huss

Post by huss »

Thanks for the replies..

Do any of you know how the pacesetters sound?
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Originally posted by apniechodgs:
Hey there...

You should use 3 inch piping, no res and no cat. Use a 5zigen fireball muffler. That will sound awesome. Will make your car sound like a bike. I heard a celica gts with this setup and man did it sound sick. Not sure if it will sound exactly the same on the mx so get other peeps opinion as well
thanks
Man don't listen to this fool. 2 inch from the cat back with a mid-range muffler is more than enough to make you're car sound nice.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I have a pacesetter and with a hollowed cat it sounds pretty bad. Has an awful "ricer" tone around 2700 rpm's and then above 5500rpm. I can say it sounds much better than the unresonated midas system it replaced. I think with the cat in place it would sound decent.

I'd love to find a system that could match the sound of the borla for the probe and MX-6. I had that on my MX-6 and it sounded bad a s s !!

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

huss

Post by huss »

Ok..I have the pacesetters priced out for $290 CAD.
Does that sound good or bad for cat back?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

im not down with the pacesetters, (yea im one of the guys that have a extremely rusted system) with in less than a year of owning this i have 2 holes, all the welds are rusted (pipping is fine) but the quality isnt very good, of cource what do you expect for paying so little right?, my recomendation, go to a muffler shop, they can make you a catback system with the performance (which will be very little with out swapping headers and high flow cat) and will sound very nice for probably 100 to 150 more than getting the Pacesetter, and there is also another up to that, Stainless Steel, instead of Pacesetters mid grade crap
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
huss

Post by huss »

Ok so I've decided on 2 inch piping and I'm gonna take the cat converter off (I have no air laws where I live) and then put on a magnaflow or a flow master muffler.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Be sure to get a HUGE resonator put in the system. With out a cat our cars sound awful.

nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:
I have a pacesetter and with a hollowed cat it sounds pretty bad. Has an awful "ricer" tone around 2700 rpm's and then above 5500rpm. I can say it sounds much better than the unresonated midas system it replaced. I think with the cat in place it would sound decent.

I'd love to find a system that could match the sound of the borla for the probe and MX-6. I had that on my MX-6 and it sounded bad a s s !!
My guess it sounds ****ty is because you hollowed out the cat.. this is not too smart (unless you ran a pipe through it on the inside). A hollowed out cat will probably steal hp from the engine as the airvelocity in the exhaust is thouroughly "fu..ed" up...

just my 2 cents

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
huss

Post by huss »

Hmm..Should I get a high flow cat then, Tsimiata?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”