New Different information about the Kfze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

New Different information about the Kfze

Post by Mnemonic »

As me and barry have noticed thinking we have the same engine but dont, there are 2 versions of the Kfze, one was used in the Mazda Lantis, the other in the Mazda Mx-6.

The difference? Well not really alot but some, according to an Australian mazda dealership about 5 hp, explanation, where the Mazda lantis used slightly modified k8101 heads, the Mx-6 used even more modified heads and were stamped K82, also there are like the klzes 2 styles of Intake manifolds, 1 being the curved neck found in the Mazda Lantis, and the other the straight neck, found in the Mazda Mx-6

Now which one has the greatest Hp, where corksport has posted the Kfze having 165hp, they get there engines from the Mazda Lantis, where as the Mx-6 version has 170hp based on what i was told by the parts clerk, and he even said it had a few more ponies than the other.

So there you have it, and this is probably true among the Klze's im sure it is where as the engine was used in both sedans and sports.

<small>[ November 27, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Mnemonic ]</small>
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
papa roached

Re: New Different information about the Kfze

Post by papa roached »

so we might have a KF-DE and KF-ZE?
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

No they would both be kf-ze's, de means that it was used in the north american market. Good stuff on the kf motors someone should compile all this info lately and throw it in the v6 faq
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

the only way i could describe the difference is by the head markings, My version has the K82 stamp, which is found in the mx-6 version of the 2.0 Kfze, where as the Lantis is stamped on the head K801 so i guess if you were to have to seperate them it would be either as
2.0 Kfze k8101
2.0 Kfze k82
or
2.0 kfze (L)
2.0 kfze (m)

<small>[ November 27, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Mnemonic ]</small>
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

You guys could've saved all these problems by just getting a DE. Same HP, more displacement, and better compression for turbo. And parts are easy as hell to find.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Manach

Post by Manach »

Originally posted by Mnemonic:
the only way i could describe the difference is by the head markings, My version has the K82 stamp, which is found in the mx-6 version of the 2.0 Kfze, where as the Lantis is stamped on the head K801 so i guess if you were to have to seperate them it would be either as
2.0 Kfze k801
2.0 Kfze k82
or
2.0 kfze (L)
2.0 kfze (m)
On the head, or in the head?

I just swap an engine that the seller told me it was a KF-ZE engine.

Outside of the head, it is stamped K8101..

Is that ok??
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

that means you have the engine from teh lantis 165hp

Yea it may save us trouble, but its a nicer thing to say you have a kfze, with these engines you litterally have to work, you cant just go to mazda and get parts, for example, i was originally getting head gaskets through corksport, but now that they failed to find them, i called a dealership in australia and they are shipping me a set, its just more work and you have a different engine

<small>[ November 27, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Mnemonic ]</small>

mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Its a little thing called originality.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
UrBaNsTyLe55

Post by UrBaNsTyLe55 »

whats good about this engine is by having one your different from the rest, and not like everyone else :froggie_red:
92 323 KF-ZE V6 swap done by me 2 1/4 header back exhaust no cat car now for sale for very cheap! email me at queensnysfinnest@aol.com for pics and questions
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Clarification:

The "DE" in the engine names doesn't mean its from North America. It means "Dohc Efi". The ZE means its a performance version w/high comp pistons, agressive cams and freer flowing ports.

It isn't surprising how there are two versions of the KF-ZE. The MX6 is a heavier car, maybe mazda saw the need to up the power, or maybe there were other reasons.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

There are more than two versions. There are curved neck versions as well.
Manach

Post by Manach »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
Clarification:

The "DE" in the engine names doesn't mean its from North America. It means "Dohc Efi". The ZE means its a performance version w/high comp pistons, agressive cams and freer flowing ports.

It isn't surprising how there are two versions of the KF-ZE. The MX6 is a heavier car, maybe mazda saw the need to up the power, or maybe there were other reasons.
You said the Straight neck is from a Mx-6, I got that..

You told also, as my head is stamp K8-101 on the block, it is from the Lantis..

Now, what do I beleive?

I got a mix car? :freak: :freak: :freak:
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you guys also have to take into consideration the years, different years had different engines as well, maybe one year decided to go with a curve neck or straight, Im just informing on what information i have herd from talking to derrick @ corksport and the australian dealership

lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

Not meaning to thread jack but check your pms if you still need a kf ecu.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

626's, MS6's, and Eunos 500's came with straight necks, i've only seen Lantis's and MS8's with the curved neck my guess, is they bumped the power up for the sportier MX6, although i've also heard the type-R lantis put out 170HP
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”