ZE is giveing code 17

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dkrangers

ZE is giveing code 17

Post by dkrangers »

I took my mx-3 in to have the throttle cable replaced cause it was stuck. Anyways with my $70 US diagnostic fee I had them check a weird idle. It would be fine upon first start, but when it begins to warm up the idle bounces between 900-1700 RPM until fully warmed up. Mazda said that it only threw code 17 but then again it’s a ZE and not a K8. They said possible O2 sensors, air in radiator, wiring, and vacuums... I don’t think that it’s the radiator but I don’t know what it could be. Anyone else have these problems? I had all the vacuums changed when the motor was swapped in so the cruse would work. I also had a friend tell me his cuz had a Talon with the same problem. He was unsure what chip it was but he said they need to replace a chip in his car but it wasn't the ECU. I dont know if that helps but hopefully it does.

Thanks
timpronk

Re: ZE is giveing code 17

Post by timpronk »

Adjust your throttle position sensor.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
dkrangers

Post by dkrangers »

Adjust it how much? I havent dealt with one before.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

Get a volt multimeter and a splice clip, clip it on the 2nd wire down on the tps harness and the other to the neg battery terminal, have someone turn the car to on, volts should be between .5-1, if they arent loosen the tps and rotate till it is, then have them floor it, volts should be between 3.5-4 if not adjust the throttle cable slack and restart the tps procedure :)
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
dkrangers

Post by dkrangers »

While Mazda had the car and my dad was paying for repairs I thought they could fix the TPS. They said the TPS was unable to be adjusted and didn’t do anything. I don’t have a voltmeter and nowhere to work in my car in the winter. I normally just work outside but it's freezing out. I need to get this fixed! Mazda said it could be; low anti-freeze and or bubble or pocket, 02 sensors, fuel pressure, vacuum leak, temp sensor, or improper wiring. I really need to know if someone else had this problem also. I can only do so much work at a time before I can’t feel my hands.

Thanks
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

.the tps can be adjusted and it does do something.

Put a mark (pencil or whatever) that goes on part of the tps and part of the throttle body so you know the original position.

Then...
Just use a long phillips screw driver,
loosen the two screws holding it on,
and turn it a little, you will see that your car will idle lower or higher and the fan will go on/off.

This is not the most precise way but you will get instant feedback on how it works.

turn it untill the fan goes on, then back it off a little untill it turns off, thats pretty much the correct spot.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”