Oil burner

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
big.c

Oil burner

Post by big.c »

My '93 V6 has started burning oil, seems at its worst on start up. I have removed the spark plugs and discovered oil is seeping down on top of the plugs. Cylinders 1 & 6 are the worst culprits. Does anyone know if one of the gaskets, ie cylinder cover/head, could be worn which would allow oil to escape and gather atop the spark plugs? thanks.
TsiMiata

Re: Oil burner

Post by TsiMiata »

You've got two problems. One is the valve cover gaskets, thats whats letting the oil into the spark plug holes. The other is either piston rings or valve seals. There's no easy fix for those short of a rebuild.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
quicksliver

Re: Oil burner

Post by quicksliver »

Ok, get the valve cover gaskets replaced...it's pretty cheap! As for you're rings and/or valve seals (causing you to burn oil)...just keep adding oil. I burn though ~1.75L of oil every 5,000km's. I have yet to notice any perfomance loss or even see black and/or blue smoke coming from my tailpipe...

Get you're friend to stand at the side of the road and watch you're tailpipe while you blow by him at ~6,000rpm. If you got nothing coming out (and you're exhaust in in good condition), im willing to bet you have a leak somewhere and that you're not burning oil. Perhaps the oil pressure switch located right by the oil filter.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”