nock?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX#3

nock?

Post by MX#3 »

Hey guys could anybody please tell me what is the difference in knocking of an engine and an axel. Something nocks but I am not sure what it is. It happens mostly on turns with harder than usual acceleration but not too hard and sometimes on strait line with again a little harder than usual. I replaced both axels already, so before I would buy new spark pugs and weirs if you could tell me if it is not badly rebuilt axel?
TsiMiata

Re: nock?

Post by TsiMiata »

I have the same exact thing. I can't find anything loose in the suspension that would make the noise either. This subject has come up several times with different people and AFAIK has yet to be solved. I was going to investigate mine further when I swapped my motor.

One thing I would check is that the lower ball joints are tight. On my MX-6 the bolt came loose and it would make a loud knocking noise over bumps and turning. I checked this on my MX-3 and it wasn't the problem. :(
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

One possibility is a stabiliser bushing.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
MX#3

Post by MX#3 »

I replaced those as well. knock is similar to misfiring.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”