KL03 ECU

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Zebaj

KL03 ECU

Post by Zebaj »

Hey all, I'm swapping my K8 for a KL03, and I was wondering if anyone had any problems with the ECU that they were using. I am going to be searching thru a junkyard for a Probe/mx-6 ECU for the engine. Also, I wanted to know if anyone had any issues with their tranny holding the KL03 power?? Thanks
-jz
TsiMiata

Re: KL03 ECU

Post by TsiMiata »

The K8 tranny is the same as the Probe/MX-6 tranny. The drive axles are smaller but at 165hp I wouldn't worry to much.

Try http://www.marshallsautoparts.com/ for the ECU they supposedly have a whole bunch and sell them for $20.

<small>[ September 22, 2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Zebaj

Post by Zebaj »

Thanks tsi :) I'm rebuilding a KL03 from a Probe with a friend, and we are just trying to think of the parts I'm going to have to replace in the MX-3. So far we've got everything pretty much lined up right now, but there are still a few things we need. I am going to need a new clutch because I still have the OEM (w/82k mi). I was thinking of using a ClutchMaster with a holding capacity for N20. I plan on putting in a N20 system after all my bolt ons are done. I figure turboing is too expensive for me and I just don't want all the problems that come along with turboing a motor. Obviously it is well worth it, but I don't have that kind of experience yet, and I'd rather turbo the ZE than 03. Dunno just my thoughts...if you have any reccomendations for a clutch I have open ears as of now. See ya
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I have been using a clutchmasters stage1 from rr-racing.com. I have had it in for 2 yrs and no probs running my ze. For the money I think its a good clutch. But if money is not a big issue then get a higher stage/stiffer clutch.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

ACT/Clutchmaster/SPEC are all good. If you want to go for a good amount of hp I would go with a stage 2 or 3 on your KL-DE. Especially if you want your nitrous set up.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Just wanted to add make sure you get the 2.5 air meter to go with the ECU
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Zebaj

Post by Zebaj »

Thanks again Tsi :) So helpful, if I knew how to add to member rating I would ... DOH ! I'll keep you guys posted on the rebuild. So far we've pulled the head covers and have our cams exposed. We tried removing them, but our Timing cover/Crank Pulley won't come off without some serious work. Most people use a breaker bar and turn the engine to get the crank off. Since our motor is out of the car, we can't. I was thinking a strap wrench should do the trick....we'll see in a few days.
Zebaj

Post by Zebaj »

Thanks for the clutch reccomdendations. I think I'll be going with a CM :)
Rylinkus

Post by Rylinkus »

Watch yourself on the ECU as it changed in 95. OBD2 vs OBD1. You're gonna want the older one to make everything as easy as possible with the swap.
1993 Undercover MX6 LS ('93 Probe GT)
Stage 1 Weight Reduction (Door Panels fell off)
Aerodynamic Body Mod (Antenna broke)
Custom Lowering (Broke Rear Springs)
Advanced Navigation System (New girlfriend to check maps)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”