Custom Exh.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Zebaj

Custom Exh.

Post by Zebaj »

Hey, I recently bought an MX-3. I am looking to replace the exhaust soon. I am thinking of fabbing a custom exh. I don't have the car with me, its down at home while I'm at school. I wanted to know if anyone knows the stock exh. pipe diameter. Is it 2.5"? There is a Borla dual exh. hot rod kit that I am looking to buy. I was just wondering if the piping is the same size???????
Gro Harlem

Re: Custom Exh.

Post by Gro Harlem »

i think the stock size is about 2". if you want good performance a 2.25" would be best for your 1.8 V6, but if you have a 2.5 motor swap, 2.5" is better since it is a much larger engine.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Zebaj

Post by Zebaj »

The Dual exh. hot rod kit from borla is 2.5", and I'm planning on swapping the engine at some point. I already have one lined up. So will that borla kit be good? I used borla on my pathfinder and I was very pleased with its sound and hp/torque gains. They are a company I am familiar with and enjoy dealing with.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

got a link for this dual exhaust kit? i didn't think they existed for the Mx3...how would it fit with the fuel tank where it is?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Zebaj

Post by Zebaj »

yea sure, its at www.borla.com then click the auto link (its right above XR1-Racing link or something), then click universal mufflers. Then click Hot Rod Kit. There are 2 models. A 2.5", and also a 3" kit. Check'm out, tell me what you think. I haven't gotton a good look at the underbody of my mx yet. I've only been inside the damn thing for a max of 30mins :(
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Theres no way to fit another muffler on the drivers side. I just looked the other day.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

You *might* be able to fit a pipe on that side but no way a muffler. The opening is only 10"x10". The fuel filler hose is right behind it also. I wouldn't feel to comfortable with the exhaust pipe fractions of inch from the fuel hoses. If you ran the pipe like the factory you'd have to go under the control arm. That would make it useless on a street driven car. Maybe you would go under the spare tire and then bang a 90 bend out the back?<p>I'm thinking side pipes would be easier.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

I have personally seen 3 mx-3's with dual exhausts. None of the 3 showed any gains from the conversion.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

I have personally seen 3 mx-3's with dual exhausts. None of the 3 showed any gains from the conversion.
Shaun Newman
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Shaun Newman
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

why would u want dual exhaust anyways. It adds more weight and cost a lot more to replace and not to mention that there is no more gains over a single. Since u cant fit a muffler on the driver side it would actually be more restrictive then a single.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Zebaj

Post by Zebaj »

Well, I guess for now it seems to be a little rediculous to have a dual exh. Mainly because the car is stock, but in the future, I am putting in a KL03 engine and fitting a turbo on it. So, should I stick with single muffler or go with dual in that case???
Zebaj

Post by Zebaj »

So the dual idea is out of my head for now. I can't determine which cat-back systems work the best. Anyone know where the best gains are as far as catback systems are concerned?
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

to be absolutely honest youre not gonna get much of a gain with any cat back system available for our car. I'd have one custom made and tuned by a muffler shop. Dont go for 2.5" for the piping!
Shaun Newman

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”