Hood heat

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

Hood heat

Post by mdavis »

Hey guys. I just had my MX-3 repainted. Before I took the car in a stripped a lot of things off of it including the grey liner on the underside of the hood. How that the car is back I haven't put the liner back on because 1) I would need to order the clips again because the stock ones broke when i took them off and 2) it looks better without it. The problem is, the hood seems to get really hot after driving around town (I've not had the car too long and I never noticed, but it seems on the hot side) Does anyone know anything about this? I'm concerned about the paint and the engine. Perhaps the heat will damage the paint? Perhaps the engine air temp is too high and will decrease performance? Thanks for your help! :)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Bri94GS

Re: Hood heat

Post by Bri94GS »

Engine heat always has an effect on the performance. Outlaw Engineering makes some products which help keep your intake manifold a little cooler. As for the padding under the hood, I'm sure it was put there for a reason. Not sure if it will get hot enough to ruin the paint, but it's a possibility.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

mine didnt have that when i got it but i cant tell ya because it needs painted anyway
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
fabius

Post by fabius »

i took mine off and it helped a lot with keeping things a little cooler in traffic and the hood could get so hot you wouldn't want to put you hand on it but it never affected the paint
fabius

Post by fabius »

and if you really wanna put it back on wood screws and washers should do the job
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Ok, thanks for the help guys. Mine got a little torn up when I took it off so I think I will order an OEM piece sence there are a few other little things I need anyways. Thanks ;)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You could get Dynamat Hoodliner and use that. It's made as an aftermarket hood liner. It is not only made for sound control, but also to prevent heat from wrecking your paint.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Well I am very concerned about the paint but engine sound is all good :)
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”