k8 turbo yes or no?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BucktownMx3

k8 turbo yes or no?

Post by BucktownMx3 »

would it be hard to do and would it be worth it to turbo the 1.8L v-6 in my 94 gs? im askin because my brother in law has a turbo that he would almost practically give me. so i wanna know if it owuld be worth whiel to turbo the 1.8<p>info is appreciated
94 mx3 gs (sold)
92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX(14.3 @ 99.08- almost completely stock)
Nd4SpdSe

Re: k8 turbo yes or no?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

its possible, there a guy i believe on here that has it done, he lives near TO, i've seen it in person...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
phr34k

Post by phr34k »

nd4 go drive your kl and his k8 turbo and kinda give us an overview of which has more power ;)

Post by Guest »

Its more then possible, the k8 engine is near turbo ready as far as internals go. If you have the means to do it yourself, and do it good you'd be surpassing any na/kl engine.
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

i have N2O on my K8...surpasses (most)KL engines....but.....a KL with N2O, or turbo is the ****. I'd rather have a turbo too. I encourage this project. I'll be doing a turbo as well but not until I get another 2.5 to replace my last one
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
shocker

Post by shocker »

ya the guys name on here is mr spanky, his car is sick, if you want to look at his set up, go to torontomx3.com and look for the 2003 mississauga meet pictures, im sure there is one in there
"Racing a Honda is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded."
BucktownMx3

Post by BucktownMx3 »

how big of a turbo could i go on a k8? he owns his own garage and said if i baught it form him he would install everythign for me. he has been a mechanic all his life as well. so has my dad. and a k8 turbo would beat a naturally aspirated kl-zed mx-3?<p>and i wont need to strengthen my internals or ne thing right.? cause i will probably make my k8 a turbo if the price is right on the turbo. ne thing else u guys think i should do if i get a turbo for it? besides an intercooler. <p>ne one have a front body kit or ne thing they r willing to sell me? e-mail at bucktownballer2@yahoo.com if u do.<p>thanks for the info. keep it comin if uguys want.<p>[ August 01, 2003: Message edited by: BucktownMx3 ]</p>
94 mx3 gs (sold)
92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX(14.3 @ 99.08- almost completely stock)
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

T3/T4 hybrids seem pretty common....aren't they?
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

cheapest part is the turbo, fabrication and accessories cost all the money. Buy the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Post by Guest »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BucktownMx3:
and a k8 turbo would beat a naturally aspirated kl-zed mx-3? <hr></blockquote><p>Ya for sure, ze's are only putting down like 170whp in most cases, you could get there no problem with turbo, and exceed it with a nice set up.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you are going with a relatively light boost, you might be able to get a turbo from a scrapped motor pretty cheap in good condition. Last year, by brother-inlaw's neighbor was doing a turbo project. Came back from the junkyward one day with a T28 from a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T. Was pretty much mint since it was only a couple days old.....cost?? $50.00 He also got some kind of an obnoxious like T78 off a tractor turbo diesel for that much. But I think a T78 would be stupid on the K8. Get a nice T28 - T30/40 and you should be fine. But the bulk of the cost, as indicated above will be custom install and dyno tuning. Parts for a low-boost, simple turbo should be only a few hundred. More if you get on board with some kind of computer controller.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

You could prob find these turbos pretty easy: a 14b from a 1st gen DSM, a t-25 from a 2nd gen DSM, and I'm sure k-03's are out there as well, from VW/Audi 1.8T
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

a 14B would work pertty well. They are good to ~300hp. The T25 is weezing at under 250hp.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

First off you need to do research! I research and picked up parts for a year then it took me 3 month to build the thing. And i have had it on the road since the spring and everytime i get behined the wheel or try to kill another bug in the system i learn somthing new. There is lots to learn, figure out and plan before you even start. The cheapest part is the turbo you will also need a bov, boost conroler, intercooler,upgrade fuel system, lots of gauges, oil and cooling lines, relocate the battery,and all the plumming just for starter. All that there is over $1,000 plus you always have to be tunning and be playing with the motor(become one with it :D ) its not like a 2.5l where you can just drop it in and be on your maryway with very little to look after.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

Im using a 99 T25 and well decribe the way it feels hmm the first thing that come to mined its like a little irish boxer :D . Just like any other little guy on the block normal with a bit of an accent when he talks but if you step on his toes he explodes like no tomarrow.
I can play behined the wheel allday the only down fall that I have come across driving wise is i have to shift real fast now it climbs throw the rpm band like no tomarrow almost wish i had taller gears. Im hoping that a new clutch this winter will help that a bit the 10 year old stocker is not cutting it any more.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”