Anyone else have insane oil consumption?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3 for Me

Anyone else have insane oil consumption?

Post by MX-3 for Me »

Just a quick Q to see if anyone else has the same problem or any insight as to why this is.
I constantly have to watch my oil level because it seems to guzzel oil. Granted I do drive alot but it seems unnatural for it to need a quart every few weeks. Think maybe its because I rip around or just because somethings fuct?
:shrug:
lakersfan1

Re: Anyone else have insane oil consumption?

Post by lakersfan1 »

Something's fu-bar. I've never had a car eat a noticable amount of oil before. And I've had plenty of cars over 100K miles, and I've ever owned an f'ing Yugo. If it's sipping oil, I'd say you've either got a bad gasket or bad rings.
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

start saving for a new engine or sell quick!
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

mechanics say that some consumption is fine , if you run at 6k+ alot . the rings arent perfect. like a liter every 2-4k i dont see a problem. could also be valve seals . what grade of oil are u running. 5w30 could be too thin for hot weather try 10w30
13.023 @ 105 mph
MX-3 for Me

Post by MX-3 for Me »

Its not leaking oil or anything, and its been like this since i bought it which is a year and a half ago and its been in the shop PLENTY of times but not for that reason. Mechanics have never said anything about it, just to keep an eye on the level so it doesnt ever run out. I thought maybe it was a V6 thing, but apparently its just a my-lemon-of-a-car thing. haha
Thanks for the feedback.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Can you smell oil burning? What oil do you use?
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
mx34u2nve

Post by mx34u2nve »

haha welllll last night i noticed a horrible squeeking coming from my front left tire and for some and i just ignored it cause i was tired and the next morning i filled up with gas and checked my oil and it was BONE DRY
like no oil in there at all haha. i just haven't checked it in a while :eek: i don't know why my suspension would be squeeking though. but **** i put a litre of oil in there and it is still way way to low. and i notice all the time black speckals on my rear bumper. but i'm getting a new engine in in less than a month so i'm not too worried but if i wasn't i'd have some major problems.
Turbo 2.5l mx3
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

well, theres nothing you can do about the oil consumption really, the V6 K series engines are prone to oil consumption, dont worry about it cuz your engine will run for as long as you keep the oil topped up, just remember to do it! i lose about a litre every 1000kms, and my engine still pulls strong, so dont be worried.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

I loose about a litre every 1500km's or so, and i don't leak any oil (it's all burned). Engine still seems to pull very good though! Just keep you're oil topped up and your engine will last a long time. Oh ya, i drive my car pretty hard...so i've probably screwed the valve seals or somethin'...
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I had an MX-6 V-6 that was using a quart ~400 miles. I switched to Castrol GTX 20-50 High Mileage and consumption dropped to a quart every 750 miles. This was at 155k miles on the clock, The car was using a quart every 3,000 miles when I got it at 44k miles. The oil consumption is usually from the exhaust valve seals. Thats where mine was coming from. Engine ran great- Pulled 152hp to the wheels @ over 150k miles. It sucks they use oil but the engine should go for a very long time like that.<p>[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]<p>[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</p>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

Don't worry, its normal. The engine will keep going as long as you watch it.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

oil consuption on a k series is normal. As long as u don't have blue smoke u will be fine. remember the distance from F to L on the dipstick is only 0.8 L so u could have 3.5 L of oil in the motor and show empty on the dipstick. Just keep topping up.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”