Timing belt installation......which marks do i use??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gro Harlem

Timing belt installation......which marks do i use??

Post by Gro Harlem »

Ok, since I f'ed up my timing belt install on my KLZE, i'm super confused as to what marks I use on the engine?<p>The camgears and the crank sprocket have painted marks, and machined/cast marks. THe painted marks are WAY off compared to the cast marks. Which do I actually use to align the belt?<p>it seems the two cam gears painted marks are two teeth forward, while the crank's mark is one tooth backward to the cast mark positions....how do I do this right? The FSM says to use the "marks" vaugely..doesn't say jack about the painted marks.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
pelado

Re: Timing belt installation......which marks do i use??

Post by pelado »

Page B2-17 has an excellent drawing of how to align the timing marks. Ignore the paint marks, use the dots on the edge of the cogs.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

hrmm.....i just got the belt off and i'm looking at the marks. It appears the painted marks are directly on the teeth. the one on the rear camgear is dead on to the cast mark.<p>the front gear's cast mark isn't dead on, more like in between two teeth. But the painted mark is on the tooth to the right, but not directly on the cast mark...i'm guessing I should align that tooth to the little "V" cast into the head?<p>
Another dumb question...how do I get it at TDC? I did have the stuff all aligned and the crank was two teeth off compared to the camgears, but then I slipped the belt and f'ed up the position of the crankshaft...and i'm not sure if i have it at TDC or BDC since it takes two rotations.<p>anyway to know if its at either?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

take out plug to #1 cylinder and stick in a long screwdriver - rotate the engine slowly and when it get to the top of the stroke (screwdriver is highest!) take a look at where the rotor arm is pointing to - if it's #1 spark plug lead AND the timing mark on the crank pulley is around 10 degrees (that little plastic thingy on the bottom of the timing cover) you know you are definitely at TDC.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”