Interior Lights Problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ramman15

Interior Lights Problem

Post by ramman15 »

Whats up guys.....I have a 92 GS v6. I've recently run into a problem with my interior lights. They work and all, but they do not turn on when I open up my door. It doesnt matter if the passenger door is open or the driver door is open, they still don't turn on. I'm wondering if there is some type of fuse, or if the is some sensor mechanisim that has broke. I realise u guys may be laughing at me by my choice of words, but i don't know too much about cars!! so a simple solution would be perfect. thanks!!
Bri94GS

Re: Interior Lights Problem

Post by Bri94GS »

There's a switch on top of the car, near ur dome lights that gives you the option of having the lights turn on when the doors are open. If that doesn't work, I'm guessing you have something stuck in the little button that lets the lights know that the door is open. Try the passenger door.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
ramman15

Post by ramman15 »

yea i know its not the switch near the dome lights, and the lights don't turn on when i open the passenger side door. i looked for a sensor of some kind to see if there was something was stuck but had no luck. do you know where it is located?? thanks again for your help.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

when you open the door look down to see the pin switch, Its black and should be sticking out when the door is open. If its not out then obviously its stuck in, take some electric contact cleaner and spray it in there working it back and forth, this might work.<p>Mine quit working years ago.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
sheller

Post by sheller »

Actually it still *might* be your dome assembly. It essentially has 2 switches involved. One has constant power so that you can turn the lights on whenever. That one obviously still works. The other one comes on when you have the switch set to doors. That one gets power when the doors are open. The little door contact switches (and it is possible that both of those have burned out) complete the ground when they are let out (i.e. door opened). It basically works like the car horn system this way. So, with the door(s) open, you can test that power switch with a simple light tester. I have a factory electrical troubleshooting manual that told where to check but maybe the online manual here has the same info. Anyway, if power is going to it then your switch is bad, otherwise it is somewhere else. If it is somewhere else, you should test the door contact switches. Remove the switch and take your light tester to the wire coming to it. If it works with the light tester your switch is bad. If not, then you have a break in the line somewhere. I had this happen on my car so it isn't that rare. Take it into the dealership (boo) or a shop you trust and tell them what all you done and what you've localized the problem to.
Steve

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”